The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Please, come and join us.

I’m working on it!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Eagle has landed.....
20171222_122136.jpg

colly

Re member eR
As of Friday night I have joined the ranks of the retired. (well semi-retired at least)
I delivered two completed jobs late afternoon /early evening and that is (almost) that. Nothing planned for January at all.
I promised Mrs Colly I would ease up over a year ago and I intended gardually working less and less as the year went on.
Not quite that simple. I have been as busy this year as ever I was and that's despite cancelling all my advertising something like 18 months ago. I have turned away loads of work and effectively 'given' work to other guys in the same game as me.
It will be a shock to the system tbh, not having to get up and out everyday sorting through who needs to be called, chased up, what needs collecting/delivering who needs to be seen and most importantly of all getting the actual work done.
I am used to, as of necessity, starting early and finishing late and being self employed it's never been like I have ever been able to rely on anyone else to do it for me. If I didn't do it it simply didn't get done.
No complaints though I chose to be self employed and for the most part I loved it. I liked my work, got satisfaction from seeing a job well turned out and my customers appreciating what I had done for them.
The hardest part of scaling back was telling people I would not be able, or didn't want, to do the work and pointing them elsewhere. For 30 plus years enquiries were like gold dust. Not rare, but each one was valuable, not to be ignored. So turning my back on them I have found really difficult.
Anyone who works for themselves knows that the last enquiry you received might well be the last one for weeks, possibly months and so saying 'yes' becomes a habit bourne of necessity. One reason I started early and finished late a lot of the time.

I can't afford to just give up completely though and so managing the the fewer number of jobs and the kinds of jobs I want to do will be challenging.
A year ago I did intend to run things down but it never worked. I know if I say I will work maybe 1 or 2 days a week that won't work. I will have work in or promised back and I know the urge to just get on and do it will make the working week expand and before I know it I will be spending 4 or 5 days a week working. Or worse yet I will be starting late and finishing early and hence taking all week to do something that should really only take a couple of days.
So I will try to make things work by making it one week a month. If it takes a little longer so be it but I am determined to get out of the constant cycle of always having to be somewhere, or needing to speak to someone, or working to a deadline.
I would be interested to know of any other self employed people who have managed to go from working flat out to just doing a bit now and then. How did you manage it?

My plans for 'things to do' aren't really set in stone or even formulated but I do have other interests, cycling being one of them. This past 2 or 3 years I have cycled less than ever since I started riding a bike again in my 40's. I plan to change that as of now. I might even, I say even, get on here a bit more.

Me and Mrs Colly will have more time together which depending on you point of view and personal relationships could be a good thing or a nightmare.
For me, us, it will be good. More lunches out with friends, more travelling, more visiting places we take a fancy to. New challenges to meet and fresh horizons.

So...................here's to the future ! :wahhey:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Got back from Dartmoor yesterday. Had a great time, apart from the weather but there wasn't much we could do about that. Plenty of doggie walks, country pubbing and chilling in the van.^_^
Had to clean the van down this morning, prior to taking it to storage for a month or two. The roads were shitey and the van was filthy. Thought I'd try a different cleaning method today, so I hosed it down then sprayed it with a whole container of Poundlands Bike Cleaner (Muc Off sort of thing but £1), brushed it in and left it for a few minutes, then hosed it off again. I must say that the results were pretty good and a lot less effort than I normally take. This might become my preferred quick cleaning method.:okay:

GM

Legendary Member
As of Friday night I have joined the ranks of the retired. (well semi-retired at least)
I delivered two completed jobs late afternoon /early evening and that is (almost) that. Nothing planned for January at all.
I promised Mrs Colly I would ease up over a year ago and I intended gardually working less and less as the year went on.
Not quite that simple. I have been as busy this year as ever I was and that's despite cancelling all my advertising something like 18 months ago. I have turned away loads of work and effectively 'given' work to other guys in the same game as me.
It will be a shock to the system tbh, not having to get up and out everyday sorting through who needs to be called, chased up, what needs collecting/delivering who needs to be seen and most importantly of all getting the actual work done.
I am used to, as of necessity, starting early and finishing late and being self employed it's never been like I have ever been able to rely on anyone else to do it for me. If I didn't do it it simply didn't get done.
No complaints though I chose to be self employed and for the most part I loved it. I liked my work, got satisfaction from seeing a job well turned out and my customers appreciating what I had done for them.
The hardest part of scaling back was telling people I would not be able, or didn't want, to do the work and pointing them elsewhere. For 30 plus years enquiries were like gold dust. Not rare, but each one was valuable, not to be ignored. So turning my back on them I have found really difficult.
Anyone who works for themselves knows that the last enquiry you received might well be the last one for weeks, possibly months and so saying 'yes' becomes a habit bourne of necessity. One reason I started early and finished late a lot of the time.

I can't afford to just give up completely though and so managing the the fewer number of jobs and the kinds of jobs I want to do will be challenging.
A year ago I did intend to run things down but it never worked. I know if I say I will work maybe 1 or 2 days a week that won't work. I will have work in or promised back and I know the urge to just get on and do it will make the working week expand and before I know it I will be spending 4 or 5 days a week working. Or worse yet I will be starting late and finishing early and hence taking all week to do something that should really only take a couple of days.
So I will try to make things work by making it one week a month. If it takes a little longer so be it but I am determined to get out of the constant cycle of always having to be somewhere, or needing to speak to someone, or working to a deadline.
I would be interested to know of any other self employed people who have managed to go from working flat out to just doing a bit now and then. How did you manage it?

My plans for 'things to do' aren't really set in stone or even formulated but I do have other interests, cycling being one of them. This past 2 or 3 years I have cycled less than ever since I started riding a bike again in my 40's. I plan to change that as of now. I might even, I say even, get on here a bit more.

Me and Mrs Colly will have more time together which depending on you point of view and personal relationships could be a good thing or a nightmare.
For me, us, it will be good. More lunches out with friends, more travelling, more visiting places we take a fancy to. New challenges to meet and fresh horizons.

So...................here's to the future ! :wahhey:

I'm pretty much the same situation as you Colly, and agree with everything you've said. I've been self employed since the early 70's, and trying to wind down and do a 3 day week over the last year, but as you say it's not that easy when you've got deadlines to meet. The last contract I did was in the middle of October and I haven't taken anything else on since, so gradually getting used to not working. I must admit I'm enjoying not getting up at silly o'clock every morning.

I deferred my state pension three years ago when I was 65, and I'm going to start drawing it in April when I finally wind up my Ltd company.

I am looking forward to spending more time with Mrs GM, and doing more travelling and cycling tours.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As you all know I am on the countdown to early retirement, I am 60 in March and will go in mid to late April. I have just counted up how many shifts I have to go and the answer comes to 42. I have some odd leave to take which I have booked for Jan and Feb, plus I will have a couple of lieu days to come for working over Christmas.
I have been looking at a suitable present for myself and I am looking at the Condor Classico which I shall get Condor to build up for me.
0000004692.jpg

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
As you all know I am on the countdown to early retirement, I am 60 in March and will go in mid to late April. I have just counted up how many shifts I have to go and the answer comes to 42. I have some odd leave to take which I have booked for Jan and Feb, plus I will have a couple of lieu days to come for working over Christmas.
I have been looking at a suitable present for myself and I am looking at the Condor Classico which I shall get Condor to build up for me.
View attachment 389284
I don't consider 60 to be 'early' retirement. I left 2 days after my 60th and it wasn't a minute too soon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my work and colleagues but time to myself is more precious than money. I could have stayed on as long as I wanted, if I had so wished - but life's too short. I'd worked out the finances and realised that going at 60 was perfectly doable......so they didn't see my heels for smoke. :giggle:
I feel sorry for my ex colleagues, who were older than me, who are having to carry on because they can't afford to retire. One is 65 and might, just might, go part time next year and do another 3 - 5 years. Stuff that for a game of soldiers!:blink:

Nice Condor - I like the colour.:okay:
Mate of mine bought a Condor Fratello when he retired (at 55). He loves it to bits!

Last edited:
Top Bottom