The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Confined to barracks. Have a problem with my right eye. Doc thinks it might be viral conjunctivitis, but isn't quite sure. Drips and painkillers for 3 days, and if no improvement a visit to eye casualty.
Not nice.
Get well soon matey.

screenman

Legendary Member
Confined to barracks. Have a problem with my right eye. Doc thinks it might be viral conjunctivitis, but isn't quite sure. Drips and painkillers for 3 days, and if no improvement a visit to eye casualty.

Sorry to hear that, I am sure you were healthier when you were working, maybe retirement is bad for you, after all look what happens at the end of it.

Lee_M

Guru
I don't consider 60 to be 'early' retirement. I left 2 days after my 60th and it wasn't a minute too soon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my work and colleagues but time to myself is more precious than money. I could have stayed on as long as I wanted, if I had so wished - but life's too short. I'd worked out the finances and realised that going at 60 was perfectly doable......so they didn't see my heels for smoke. :giggle:
I feel sorry for my ex colleagues, who were older than me, who are having to carry on because they can't afford to retire. One is 65 and might, just might, go part time next year and do another 3 - 5 years. Stuff that for a game of soldiers!:blink:

Nice Condor - I like the colour.:okay:
Mate of mine bought a Condor Fratello when he retired (at 55). He loves it to bits!
I don't consider 60 to be 'early' retirement. I left 2 days after my 60th and it wasn't a minute too soon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my work and colleagues but time to myself is more precious than money. I could have stayed on as long as I wanted, if I had so wished - but life's too short. I'd worked out the finances and realised that going at 60 was perfectly doable......so they didn't see my heels for smoke. :giggle:
I feel sorry for my ex colleagues, who were older than me, who are having to carry on because they can't afford to retire. One is 65 and might, just might, go part time next year and do another 3 - 5 years. Stuff that for a game of soldiers!:blink:

Nice Condor - I like the colour.:okay:
Mate of mine bought a Condor Fratello when he retired (at 55). He loves it to bits!

I went from 5.days per week in 2016 to 1 day per week this year and finally gave it all up in November aged 56.

I work as a consultant in IT so could have kept working for silly money but why bother - I have enough put by (I hope) and aid rather the bired at home than in an office, plus I have plenty of hobbies- cycling, in a band, kit car, to keep me busy until the better half decides she wants to join me in retirement.

Sadly aI've injured myself so cycling is out until February at a guess but from then on the skies the limit

Drago

Legendary Member
Come off it, my eldest is only a few years younger than you.

Leaving aside my orthapaedic problems and three operations thus far, which were the result of being assaulted at work, my health has been much better. Less aches and pains, less in the way of coughs and cold, more stable weight as I can eat better and at more regular times, and more time to exercise. Generally speaking my health has been much better these last 18 months.

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds unpleasant, get well soon.

D

Deleted member 1258

I know of several ex colleagues who never made it to retirement, dying on the job so to speak. I know which option I'd prefer.

Yes, I remember someone dropping dead when he got up to make a speech at his retirement do. :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
Leaving aside my orthapaedic problems and three operations thus far, which were the result of being assaulted at work, my health has been much better. Less aches and pains, less in the way of coughs and cold, more stable weight as I can eat better and at more regular times, and more time to exercise. Generally speaking my health has been much better these last 18 months.

My mistake, I thought you had something a couple of weeks back, stay healthy old guy.

Top Bottom