The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello world. Quite mild but now grey after lovely early morning sunshine. Woke at 7 30 - 8.5 hours sleep, again! It feels very good.

Yesterday was out to coffee, cut grass, four loads of washing and ironing (two just sheets and quilt covers) and made tea. Small victories I know but really important to me as my life returns to normal.

At the coffee morning I discovered friends at the local church prayed for me. Non religious friends asked them to add extras on their behalf. The more I discover of people's kindness the more overwhelmed and humbled I feel.

Dentist followed by lunch with a friend today.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I renewed energy recently. The best deal we found was with Tonik and we've stayed for a second year. £20 more than the cheapest but it's all "green" energy.

Cost will increase by +/- £150** but that's the first time in four years and still below the £1150 we paid five years ago. Switching is definitely worth the hassle.

** Last four years we have consistently reduced cost by careful use and finding a good deal.

531Man

300 exactly? Are you ticking them off daily? :smile:

Oh yeah - I did!
I had an A5 stand-up shelf-top calendar that I had annotated (and crossed off) each day with a "days left" countdown from exactly a year before.
It became a work place feature with my colleagues.
I'm seeing them tonight at one of their leaving do's. Should be fun.
2 and1/2 years in now and no time to spare (except here, of course) due to:
Demented mother care (vascular),
Daughter married in summer,
Continuous house, shed, greenhouse fettling,
Ditto cars (including 1968 Reliant Scimitar Coupe),
Ditto old watches, especially Smiths.
Beer hunting and consuming.
Bike frame accumulation and wheel-building preparation for same.
Riding out on beautiful Summer's days, instead of stuck in view-less hospital laboratory with 'phone ringing off the hook with requests for loads of blood etc. for very ill patients.
Finances: Income less, but no SE commuting rail fare to London, so "pounds in pocket" not very much lower overall.
Hours of sleep, and at home much more adequate due to same reason.
Must go now - called to breakfast.
It's a tough retirement but somebody's got to do it.
Regards
Robin.

D

Deleted member 1258

Morning all.
Quite pleasant this morning. No heating needed apart from the conservatory where I enjoy my coffee.
No real wind as reported by others.
I have decided not to have a ride but concentrate on the exercise bike and a good work out (good for an old fart that is ^_^).
Mrs D is going to town and I am
1. Sorting out house insrance*
2. Changing energy supplier**
3. Book tickets for the Proclaimers

*We are/were with the coop but the renewal has upped the price from £300 to £500. Bye bye coop insurance.
**We are/were with eon who have just written to tell us its going up by £200 per year but by law they have to point out we can save £400 by switching to x supplier :blush:.....so its also bye bye eon

Have a look at OVO energy and see how they work out these days.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all.
Quite pleasant this morning. No heating needed apart from the conservatory where I enjoy my coffee.
No real wind as reported by others.
I have decided not to have a ride but concentrate on the exercise bike and a good work out (good for an old fart that is ^_^).
Mrs D is going to town and I am
1. Sorting out house insrance*
2. Changing energy supplier**
3. Book tickets for the Proclaimers

*We are/were with the coop but the renewal has upped the price from £300 to £500. Bye bye coop insurance.
**We are/were with eon who have just written to tell us its going up by £200 per year but by law they have to point out we can save £400 by switching to x supplier :blush:.....so its also bye bye eon
Have a look at Bulb, I switched to them last year, and they have just reduced their prices again.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just had a look at Bulb. Looks like i could make a saving of around £40 per month if I changed. Big differance. I only heard of them through an advert and you.
Just got a quote from them £7 more than npower :angry:

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like everybodys got something to do,
all I've got to do is make a loaf other than that I've got nothing on

I'm taking my Good lady to the hairdressers in about half an hour, then shopping , then chores.Tomorrow I'm on the M6 for several hours, having had to cancell last weeks trip to see our son we're of to see him tomorrow.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have just swapped to Bulb Energy. I like the fact that there is only 1 tarriff. The prices are really clear, they don't charge exit fees and if my previous supplier charges me anything, they will refund those charges. And they do all the work. Excellent.

Screenshot_2019-03-22-10-51-00.png

Top Bottom