The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our ToB breckie
20190911_113359.jpg
There is a good slug of vodka in those glasses of orange juice ^_^.
Ridershave just gone past Chester zoo.....its all interesting to us.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
IMG_20190911_121547683.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Should be in mundane news really, but I have just been out on the bike for a bit and stopped for a haircut on the way home. Yes , I do still have enough on top to go to the barbers every few weeks.
Out for a couple of ales tonight with MrsP and then over to the curry shop for the banquet night. A main course plus a side and either rice or naan for £ 9.50 per person.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Serious question. What is your "full wet weather gear" ie what does it consist of?
I only have a light rain jacket as I am a fair weather cyclist (its not breathable and I sweat in it).
Edit.
Just realised my winter jacket is waterproof although its never been out in the rain :tongue:)

I have two variations depending on the temperature.

Today was base layer, winter shirt, gilet and rain jacket. I'm very fortunate my son gave me a Rapha rain jacket and it's very good. I would never buy Rapha. Lightweight leggings, bib shorts, overshoes and if very wet like today I wear plastic bags inside my shoes. Gloves are semi-waterproof but have a cover which makes them about 100%

In cold weather a winter base layer, winter jacket which is semi-waterproof. If it's hammering down add the rain jacket. Waterproof socks, overshoes. Bib longs.

With the exception of my winter jacket all this dries quickly. So by 8.30 I was drenched but warm. By 10.00 we had wind and sun and had dried out.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have two variations depending on the temperature.

Today was base layer, winter shirt, gilet and rain jacket. I'm very fortunate my son gave me a Rapha rain jacket and it's very good. I would never buy Rapha. Lightweight leggings, bib shorts, overshoes and if very wet like today I wear plastic bags inside my shoes. Gloves are semi-waterproof but have a cover which makes them about 100%

In cold weather a winter base layer, winter jacket which is semi-waterproof. If it's hammering down add the rain jacket. Waterproof socks, overshoes. Bib longs.

With the exception of my winter jacket all this dries quickly. So by 8.30 I was drenched but warm. By 10.00 we had wind and sun and had dried out.
Bl**dy hell, you are serious.
When its raining I wear a duvet while having a large Cognac ^_^.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Bl**dy hell, you are serious.
When its raining I wear a duvet while having a large Cognac ^_^.

I don't usually chose to ride in the rain. It was hammering down at 7.30 when I left home - normally I wouldn't have gone out. However this was about supporting five club mates on RAB (LeJog in 9 days) and having said I'd be there I wasn't going to let them down. I was piss wet through by the time I hit the meeting point.

Another friend turned up and we did Domestique duties by taking the front in to a 20mph head wind for 40 miles. It was hard. They wanted 15 average and we delivered.

Total ride was 90.4, 3700 feet, avg 15. Headwind for 89 out of 90 miles. A tough day in the saddle.

Top Bottom