The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Well that turned to be a tad damp, I ended up with 51 miles on, I got home parked the bike in the kitchen, stepped out of my clothes and chucked them straight in the washing machine, know sat here in my dressing gown. I came out of the cafe and the rain had already started so I thought I'll run for home, but once I got going I thought thats not too bad so I rode through Brandon and Wolston to Bretford, once in Bretford I had the choice of running for home head for Brinklow or tun to climb up through Kings Newnham, a decent climb on the fixed, so thats what I did, then joined my route out but heading for home, when I got past Pailton and got to the turn for Monks kirby I turned right then left and headed straight for Withybrook instead of going through the village, then turned through Shilton and followed my regular route home. So not the nicest ride I've done, I spent a lot of it just pedalling a steady rhythm into the wind and I was damp and cold when I got home, but the ride out was fun.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/44868469?beta=false

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Me too - just had two of the lovely buggers for lunch.

Lovely Wife is out today and has hidden* the peanut butter from me so it was regular butter only on them today.

*She's been very devious as I've looked high and low for the seductive jar and can't find it anywhere. :sad:
Peanut butter is something I have never tried........it sounds disgusting to me but many people seem to like it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well that turned to be a tad damp, I ended up with 51 miles on, I got home parked the bike in the kitchen, stepped out of my clothes and chucked them straight in the washing machine, know sat here in my dressing gown. I came out of the cafe and the rain had already started so I thought I'll run for home, but once I got going I thought thats not too bad so I rode through Brandon and Wolston to Bretford, once in Bretford I had the choice of running for home head for Brinklow or tun to climb up through Kings Newnham, a decent climb on the fixed, so thats what I did, then joined my route out but heading for home, when I got past Pailton and got to the turn for Monks kirby I turned right then left and headed straight for Withybrook instead of going through the village, then turned through Shilton and followed my regular route home. So not the nicest ride I've done, I spent a lot of it just pedalling a steady rhythm into the wind and I was damp and cold when I got home, but the ride out was fun.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/44868469?beta=false
Said it before but I doff my hat to you and the others on here who do serious miles in sh*t weather.
I admit to being a fairweather cyclist and only do winter rides to keep me bike fit for the spring.

Dave7

Legendary Member
First off..... thanks for the goodwill messages. As others will attest to, its very touching and encouraging to get them.
Well some good news health wise.......seems a long time coming ^_^
Played 9 holes with very little discomfort. The 'limp' caused by the sciatica was very slight........AND..... I think I won the competition (just waiting for confirmation). I also won the 'nearest the pin' comp.
I fel a ride coming on.:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

Said it before but I doff my hat to you and the others on here who do serious miles in sh*t weather.
I admit to being a fairweather cyclist and only do winter rides to keep me bike fit for the spring.

Thank you, I must admit I've done no fitness work this winter, most winters I do at least an hour once a week in the shed on the turbo with a heart monitor, and have done so most winters since the days when I was a club rider and used to train for the spring reliability trials, this December when I was due to start my back was too painful and I decided to skip training this year.

D

Deleted member 1258

First off..... thanks for the goodwill messages. As others will attest to, its very touching and encouraging to get them.
Well some good news health wise.......seems a long time coming ^_^
Played 9 holes with very little discomfort. The 'limp' caused by the sciatica was very slight........AND..... I think I won the competition (just waiting for confirmation). I also won the 'nearest the pin' comp.
I fel a ride coming on.:rolleyes:

Well done.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, I admit I was a bit worried ie "what if it doesn't get better"......"what if I cant cycle or golf etc again". The banter on here and reading about your rides along with Dave and others helps keep the spirit up.
Long may it continue.
It will happen. When I was ill I never doubted I would ride again. What floored me completely, and sent me spinning towards depression, was the consultant telling me after my third comeback ride to stop. I won't bore you all with the details but I looked in to the pit - it wasn't good.

We are all fit people. As cyclists just by dint of being active we are in the top 13% in the country and possibly the top 10%. You will be fine, just ease in to the cycling and enjoy the rides.

Top Bottom