The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good morning. It looks as though it's grey and still out there but still dark so can't be sure.

No riding today as my frame is a write off. I'm sad about this, I love my bikes. Fortunately I have a 15 year old Dolan hanging in the garage - I find it impossibly hard to get rid of bikes. My LBS will take everything off the kaput frame and put it on the Dolan. Should be riding again by Friday. I don't want to get my Cervelo out in this weather.

Mrs P has agreed I can buy a new winter bike in August. This works well as it will take me six months to make a decision. Plus I'll end up with three serviceable bikes which I like. One great relationship ends, another renewed and a new one in August. I'm emotionally attached to my bikes. Daft I know.

I shall clean the inside of my car and work on the allotment.
I've got far too many bikes. I actually lost count at one point. I should get rid of a few as it gets a pain for maintenance when they all need different sizes of chains, cassettes and even tyres. I currently have a mixture of 9, 10, 11 and 12 speed so even my spare quick links need to be specific. Lol. It would be nice if we could actually get the weather to get out on them.

We do have a brief dry spell to look forward to before the rain returns at lunchtime but it's cold and breezy.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Reading the musings on how fortunate we are was great. I very much agree and I'm pleased for you all. I hope in 30+ years my kids can say the same. I keep nagging at them to start pension saving now.

For me? I believe I come from a golden generation - free education, relatively easy to get employment, the 60s, the excitement of freedoms other generations never had. Not forgetting Bob Dylan and some of the finest rock bands ever!! 😂

Yep the 16% mortgages weren't fun and as young parents there were plenty of hard times. I still remember "the book" in which we ran the weekly budget and if we overspent one week belts were tightened the next. Three kids over eight years is expensive. We made it though.

Today? Well six years ago I survived a heart attack. One year and one week ago today I was discharged after the haemorrhage which kills 70%. It never occurred to me I wouldn't recover but I did go through a desperate mental period when I felt my life was finished. I know the two statements conflict. I'll be forever grateful to everyone who visited or put up with me over those months. Three great friends spotted my mental issues and pulled me through, one in particular gave me so much I can never repay her.

So we should all celebrate every day. We should ride, walk, eat well, do the things we enjoy, dig allotments and help others when we can. Oh and get to see Springsteen one more time!!! There's no knowing when it will finish.

As the great Pete Townshend put it "Hope I die before I get old."

Drago

Legendary Member
I have risen!

From the day I joined the Army at 18 my Mum nagged me mercilessly about pensions, savings, not rushing out and buying cars on credit etc just for the sake of it, and i'm glad she did. Because I've never had a car loan I've saved over £115,000 of repayments across my adult life on that alone - that's money that I've saved, money that would be sufficient for many to clear their mortgage and quit work, or even buy a house in some areas.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've got far too many bikes. I actually lost count at one point. I should get rid of a few as it gets a pain for maintenance when they all need different sizes of chains, cassettes and even tyres. I currently have a mixture of 9, 10, 10 and 12 speed so even my spare quick links need to be specific. Lol. It would be nice if we could actually get the weather to get out on them.

We do have a brief dry spell to look forward to before the rain returns at lunchtime but it's cold and breezy.

I did get rid of a couple a few months ago but still leaves me with a hybrid and three road bikes. :whistle:

Quick links I have to label as I carry in the pouch with my multi tool. And as for discovering in front of your cycling buddies you've brought the wrong inner tubes.......:eek:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Morning all, a brightish start to the day here.after walking the dog I will be doing the domestics whilst waiting in for a couple of items that should be delivered this morning.
@PaulSB what happened to the bike frame that is now being stripped of parts?
I'm not the most technical but here goes. I'll be asking, I've forgotten, the precise failure when I go to my LBS at 9.00ish.

This is a carbon frame. In manufacture in the bottom bracket hole the frame is either built around or there is inserted a sleeve. Sometimes the sleeve is simply inserted and bonded, other times it has 10mm lugs which are in the frame and it's also bonded.

This sleeve has failed so the BB is not held securely and everything rocks side to side. We had a plan to fix it, a good one, but can't get the sleeve out of the frame. Consequently it can't be fixed.

I had this bike built to a spec, it isn't from a brand. The guy who supplied the frame closed up and retired three years ago. It wasn't a Micky mouse frame, Paul Hewitt used the same ones. In fact it's where I pinched the idea from and got my LBS to build it with a few changes. It shouldn't happen but it has.

I'll post the specific failure later. I have to find out as all my cycle buddies will ask the same question.

D

Deleted member 1258

:hello: Good morning folks, bike ride this morning, I was going to ride tomorrow but a wet morning is forecast so I'm going to get a short one in today before the rain starts, I'll use the Badgers Tea Room at Brandon so I've got the option to run for home by the short route if its too bad.

D

Deleted member 1258

This came up on my facebook memories today, winter commuting from 10 years ago

1582099005176.png

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick good day to you all.
I am going to try 9 holes of golf this morning...... the first since the sciatica started and only the second since October (I discount the one when I had to come off after 7 holes).
If it goes ok it will give me confidence to try a ride. In this weather and having been off the bike for 4 months I think 10 miles will be a realistic target.......what think you ??
See you after golf (I hope^_^)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A quick good day to you all.
I am going to try 9 holes of golf this morning...... the first since the sciatica started and only the second since October (I discount the one when I had to come off after 7 holes).
If it goes ok it will give me confidence to try a ride. In this weather and having been off the bike for 4 months I think 10 miles will be a realistic target.......what think you ??
See you after golf (I hope^_^)

Good luck Dave. :okay:

Top Bottom