The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Indeed, far too young, a friend of ours has passed away recently, she was in her nineties, if I make that age I'd be pleased.
I want be shot by a jealous husband whilst caught in flagrante delicto at the age of 97. :laugh:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Putting the world to rights over a pint at lunchtime; MrsD and I decided that we should just think ' feck 'em all'. Things can change a fair bit and it would have little effect on our lifestyle. Politics, fashions, trends and social media have virtually no effect on us.
We're alright, worked all our lives, paid for everything, owe nobody, got our health, no financial worries and still got aspirations.
In fact, our finances can only get better with state pensions on the horizon.
It made us realise just how fortunate we are.
We've lived healthy, interesting and exciting lives.
I could die tomorrow and be a contented man.
Life is good. ^_^

I'm going for a nap now............
Sometimes when I’m wandering along on my early walk I think about stuff. Anytime I feel a bit fed up for whatever reason, I tell myself how lucky I am. Living in a peaceful, scenic country with a roof over my head and no worries about putting food on the table, and I think of the millions who are living in fear of when the next bomb might fall or if they will have clean water or anything to eat for days. Such inequality in the world.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sometimes when I’m wandering along on my early walk I think about stuff. Anytime I feel a bit fed up for whatever reason, I tell myself how lucky I am. Living in a peaceful, scenic country with a roof over my head and no worries about putting food on the table, and I think of the millions who are living in fear of when the next bomb might fall or if they will have clean water or anything to eat for days. Such inequality in the world.
Could be worse........you could be living in Yorkshire. :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am with you on that Mo. I watch the news and am just grateful for what we have.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You could hardly make it up.
Easdale Island is cut off as the ferry slipway is blocked due the recent storms. A local boat owner ferried some people off or on using his rubber dinghy including the local doctor. He has now got a snotty letter from the Maritime Safety Agency ( or some such similar name) informing him that he has to desist immediately as he does not comply with the regulations for carrying passengers. He does not appear to have been charging but doing it as a public service. Somebody however reported him to the authorities.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Easdale Island is cut off as the ferry slipway is blocked due the recent storms. A local boat owner ferried some people off or on using his rubber dinghy including the local doctor. He has now got a snotty letter from the Maritime Safety Agency ( or some such similar name) informing him that he has to desist immediately as he does not comply with the regulations for carrying passengers. He does not appear to have been charging but doing it as a public service. Somebody however reported him to the authorities.

I wonder if they write similar letters to the people smugglers who ply the English Channel? ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
In the UK it would be the Maritime & Coastguard Agency. The other is an EU organization.

Possibly under the SOLAS Accord, which it could be argued he was actually complying with. Someone has too much time on their hands.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. It looks as though it's grey and still out there but still dark so can't be sure.

No riding today as my frame is a write off. I'm sad about this, I love my bikes. Fortunately I have a 15 year old Dolan hanging in the garage - I find it impossibly hard to get rid of bikes. My LBS will take everything off the kaput frame and put it on the Dolan. Should be riding again by Friday. I don't want to get my Cervelo out in this weather.

Mrs P has agreed I can buy a new winter bike in August. This works well as it will take me six months to make a decision. Plus I'll end up with three serviceable bikes which I like. One great relationship ends, another renewed and a new one in August. I'm emotionally attached to my bikes. Daft I know.

I shall clean the inside of my car and work on the allotment.

Top Bottom