The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Me too, technically I went 6 years early as my state pension doesn't kick in until I am 66, so I will be economically inactive for a while yet. Although I still pay income tax and VAT and council tax for dwindling services that my rubbish council keep cutting back on. The latest being the green bin collection for garden waste. From April they are going to charge £70 per year for a service that was paid for out of the council tax.

I currently pay£25 Year for garden waste collection.I compost what I can.Shrub tree pruning go in the brown bin

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Exactly but we have a brand new, enormous building for Council Offices now that cost the rater payer £36 Million. They found the money for that.:cursing:
I have recently found out that Barnet council have lent Saracens rugby union club £23 million for renovations to the Allianz stadium, that was once Barnet Copthall stadium, owned by the council, but sold off. Now the rugby club are in serious financial trouble, and being relegated from the top flight I wonder if the council see this as a wise investment?

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Elevenses......

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We're charged £35/year for garden waste. As I have an allotment I compost everything I can and only put in very twiggy stuff or invasive perennial weed roots such as nettles.

I'm going against the flow here but I agree with the charge for a range of reasons. A key one being now everything is seperated for recycling it seems unfair on those who don't have garden waste to effectively subsidise those of us who do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom