The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have mentioned before that life on an island can get complicated.
Today due to some imaginative timetable adjustments by Calmac the only morning ferry off to Oban today is at 0600 and any afternoon ones may not sail. Fortunately I am not travelling today as this would mean leaving home about 0445 arriving in Oban 0646. Oban at that time is not open. (I once got ejected from a cafe at 0915 for my cheek asking for breakfast before lunch time). Fishnish/Lochaline is perhaps possible but this is a detour of over 80 miles and if Corran ferry is off add another 46 on to that.
I have booked and paid for an afternoon sailing on Monday but the forecast is dire. Cannot travel earlier as got an appointment with a sharp ( I hope ) needle in the morning on Monday. So what to do? Try Fishnish if it is sailing but times don’t suit if Craignure is off and in any case probably 126 mile detour.
The local Calmac office is shut as the girl is off to a concert somewhere and I need an office to get printed tickets in case I make a dash for Fishnish anyway. Otherwise I have to go to Craignure to get tickets and then back to Fishnish. A text has just turned up at 1325 saying there will be a sailing from Oban at 1400.
Not that I am complaining as it is just a fact of living here but not a problem the recent settlers looking for an easy life anticipate.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Obviously a popular place :rolleyes:
They were all sitting behind me. ;)

Tenkaykev

Guru
Edited to add Photo

Today has been a bit of a washout. Ten year old Grandson is visiting and we were planning on going for a bike ride, it's chucking it down and blowing a hoolie so we have been testing bicycle pumps very unscientifically :-)

One Brompton front wheel ( a spare from fitting a dynamo wheel )
Four pumps : Topeak road morph, VEL Airflow TRV, Brompton frame pump, and last but not least a Pocket Rocket DXii.
Scored for size and weight, number of strokes until he could no longer compress the plunger, Tyre pressure achieved.

( Very Unscientific ) Scores on the doors:

Topeak Road Morph: 30 strokes 28 PSI
VEL Airflow TRV: 40 strokes 36 PSI
Brompton frame pump: 100 strokes 31 PSI
Pocket Rocket Dxii 80 strokes, 36 PSI

Pocket rocket is the smallest, a lovely well made pump. The VEL has a fold out metal foot stand and a screw on valve adaptor on the end of a flexible hose which makes it easier to get between the spokes, again a very well made bit of kit. Topeak is the biggest but has a small fold out plastic foot stand and handle extension. The Brompton is the lightest and fits in the bicycle frame.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Met with my friend in order to get some practice in for our Mountain Bike Leaders ticket renewal. The area we had pegged for practice was mainly underwater - i'm an all weather rider, but being olde fashioned i'm also quite keen on not dying, so we binned that.

Instead we did some defensive tactics, practised the tactical dismount, block and ground pin, safe approach, and did a bit of nav. I've held my instructors ticket for a decade, and my patrol ticket 4 years before that, and I don't anticipate any problems renewing but the guy from MIAS really, really makes you sweat for it so it does no harm to be prepared. If Bikeability were about making paper planes, then in terms of relative difficulty, L.5.B. MIAS ticket is a flight to colonise Pluto, with advanced off road, advanced road, nav, first aid, maintenance, defensive tactics, search and rescue skills, and legal all topics that we teach. I can also teach safe firearms techniques to cycling officers, but there's currently no one doing that outside the Met and they run their own in house course with IPMBA.

Anyway, heading for a soak in the bath with a glass of single malt.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have recently found out that Barnet council have lent Saracens rugby union club £23 million for renovations to the Allianz stadium, that was once Barnet Copthall stadium, owned by the council, but sold off. Now the rugby club are in serious financial trouble, and being relegated from the top flight I wonder if the council see this as a wise investment?

Council wise investment, isn't that called an oxymoron? ;)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Due to adverse weather conditions, I did absolutely f*** all today although the rain has stopped now and the sun is trying to come out. My wife wants me to go with her at 4 to pick up something our daughter has bought on ebay. Apart from this exciting outing shortly and walking Molly later, a very lazy day but no regrets, it is good sometimes to just take it easy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Got my bike back.^_^ £70 to strip one frame, replace bearings in the BB and headset on the Dolan, rebuild everything on to the Dolan. Job completed inside 24 hours.

The joys of a good LBS and the benefit of being a loyal customer of 20 years. It really is impossible to put a price on this service.

I'm looking forward to months of discussion with the owner over the new winter bike I'm planning for August/September. A pleasure to spend money there.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Got my bike back.^_^ £70 to strip one frame, replace bearings in the BB and headset on the Dolan, rebuild everything on to the Dolan. Job completed inside 24 hours.

The joys of a good LBS and the benefit of being a loyal customer of 20 years. It really is impossible to put a price on this service.

I'm looking forward to months of discussion with the owner over the new winter bike I'm planning for August/September. A pleasure to spend money there.
Sounds a good deal to me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning world. How are we today? Light cloud and relatively still this morning.

Friday is cycling. The forecast was dire yesterday so nobody has committed. We've agreed to decide at 8.00am. Forecast for 09.00 is 58% chance of rain, 22mph wind and 11.00 is 36% and 40mph.

Looking out the window now I'd say yes, let's ride. Going to be a tough call.

Woke at 6.20. Tick. VG. I'm now drinking coffee and sorting Vietnam photos.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all fellow members, it's not raining wahoo! I am off to the Stevenage real ale festival later on, easy enough to get to by train. We are meeting in the cafe in New Barnet for breakfast first, it should be a good afternoon 🍺🍺🍺

Top Bottom