The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wish I could......it's lashing down yet again:rain:
I was awake from 03.15 😭

Made it to 8.15 when the alarm went off. I don't understand why Mrs P has an alarm. We're retired.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was offered a post today on a retainer plus a daily rate when I was needed.
Came as quite a shock that someone thought I could be employable; I've been trying to foster the opposite impression since I retired 5 years ago.
I had to turn the offer down as I really couldn't be arsed being employed again.
The business owner who made the offer seemed quite nonplussed at my attitude. :laugh:
I might have said this before. I applied for and got 3 months Christmas work in the post office, sorting mail. It was a choice of earlies or lates......so I chose earlies. Next morning the rain woke me at 04.30, it was cold and pitch black. I asked myself "do I really want to get up at 04.00 in the winter"??......next day I emailed and turned it down.
Even the turbo was more exciting than that:rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning all. It's lashing with rain and blowing a gale. Somehow we missed most of Dennis, this morning is worse than we got then.

It's the Third Thursday (of the month) Coffee Morning today. I don't usually go as frankly it's not that stimulating. I've nothing else planned, allotment is saturated and it's a new cafe within walking distance so think I'll don wet weather gear and hike down there.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning folks. Lashing down yet again. Surprise surprise. :hello:

Priti Patel can go forth. If you are not claiming any benefits she can't make anyone work.

There are plenty of people who are unemployed and claiming benefits. Get them working for the money they get.
I feel another march coming on. Big bloomers, printed up with appropriate slogans, on VERY strong poles. We will meet in Mach and everyone is invited to stay at Welshie's.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its pissitively possing down here......as per forecast. Yesterday I was asked to play golf today......I politely declined:rolleyes:. The guy who asked me plays in all weather. He says "if the course is open he will be playing" (twice a week).
Not much planned today. If we are not going out for lunch I will bake loaf and make some leek & potatoe soup.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Me too, technically I went 6 years early as my state pension doesn't kick in until I am 66, so I will be economically inactive for a while yet. Although I still pay income tax and VAT and council tax for dwindling services that my rubbish council keep cutting back on. The latest being the green bin collection for garden waste. From April they are going to charge £70 per year for a service that was paid for out of the council tax.
They are starting that here too but it is not compulsory.......yet so I will take my garden waste to the tip myself and save £35 a year. There is growing resentment about the ever increasing council tax here as many families are struggling to pay it. In fact, I believe the council had to back down on the proposed increase for the coming year. It is like paying another mortgage now as it is so high!:cursing:
By the way. it is raining and windy today, for a change.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Being serious, friends of mine who own farms and other businesses related to the food industry are worried.
I worked in horticulture all my life. In my last employment we recruited 25-30 seasonal workers February - June. All from the EU, laterly Poland. The business simply would not have functioned without them. There would have been no investment, no expansion, only local sales instead of national, I probably wouldn't have been employed.

The horticulture industry, both plants and food, is totally reliant on this labour. Drive round the Lancashire mosses, anyone cutting cabbage today will not be a UK national. None of the media stories are scaremongering.

I won't bang on but if Priti Patel truly believes there are 100,000 UK workers desperate to spend eight hours in a field she really is on another planet.

Top Bottom