The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all.
Blowing a bit here. I heard our wheelie bins going walkabout at around 3am, so thats the first job this morning.
Off to the Aggi for Sunday carvery later.:hungry:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm going to have a bit of a technology day as some of our kit is dying. Mrs P has an iPhone 4 :blink: and the family laptop** is almost steam driven. So anyone had good experience recently on:

Budget price smart phones
Budget price laptops
Password managers - I really need to improve our security in this area

* I use a very nice Windows 10 Surface Pro which I won in a competition three years ago. It's mine!! I know it sounds mean but the way Mrs P uses a computer drives me round the twist so to avoid divorce I have to keep this for me. :rolleyes:
Don’t have one myself, but, Motorola seem to do good budget phones. If you are willing to pay more, might be worth watching for cut price Samsung S10, new model (S20) is being launched. Both these options will mean a switch to Android.

For PC, depends on usage, if only for Internet, may be worth looking at Chromebook? Alternatively an elderly PC with Ubuntu installed?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@BoldonLad the Samsung suggestion is a good one thanks. If the main user was myself I would definitely go with a Chromebook. However Mrs P will be the main user and I'm wary of her struggling with Google docs even though many differences are small. Plus we have a five user licence for MS Office already.

I'm more inclined to spend time slowly learning how something works. Mrs P is more inclined to the "this doesn't work" and randomly clicking everything approach. It leads to tensions which we've discussed and think best avoided. It's about understanding how the machine thinks!!

D

Deleted member 1258

My phones a Nokia 3.1, my tablet is a Lenovo E10. I've had Samsung phones in the past and they've been very good, I like the Lenovo tablets, this is the second one I've had, the first one was a Tab 4 with a 8" screen, this one has a 10" screen, I found the 8" a bit small for films and catch up TV.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
We are invited for lunch at my brother's in law, up in the hills on the other side of Caernarfon on the road to Porthmadog. Judging by the weather here, I expect it will be very windy and very wet there. I will take my wellies, just in case.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
We are invited for lunch at my brother's in law, up in the hills on the other side of Caernarfon on the road to Porthmadog. Judging by the weather here, I expect it will be very windy and very wet there. I will take my wellies, just in case.
Many years ago we were in Bedd Gelert and cut off by floods as the Glaslyn had burst its banks. We tried to run for home via the Porthmadog-Caernarfon road but a landslide prevented that.
Wellies, blankets, hot drinks etc is advised :wacko:

Top Bottom