The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I recently upgraded from a Samsung S4 to a Samsung J6. All the features of more newer models but much cheaper, also as reliable.

I did have a J5. I gave that one to Mr WD. Great phone as well.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
@BoldonLad the Samsung suggestion is a good one thanks. If the main user was myself I would definitely go with a Chromebook. However Mrs P will be the main user and I'm wary of her struggling with Google docs even though many differences are small. Plus we have a five user licence for MS Office already.

I'm more inclined to spend time slowly learning how something works. Mrs P is more inclined to the "this doesn't work" and randomly clicking everything approach. It leads to tensions which we've discussed and think best avoided. It's about understanding how the machine thinks!!

I like it!

I can identify with that! Mrs Boldonlad (and her brother) are exactly like that. I have learned a lot by having to "untangle" the mess they have got themselves into by "random clicking". Best one I recall, was, my brother-in-law rang me to say, his PC was displaying everything on the screen sideways (ie turned through 90 degrees), after a clicking session. A few minutes on google enabled me to put it right.

Had an example this morning, I have just bought Mrs Boldonlad a new phone (Samsung S10 to replace her S7). It works almost identically to the "old" phone, but, this morning, my internet browsing was interrupted by a cry for help,

Me: "what's the problem"

Mrs B: "phone has a message on it"

Me: "What does the message say"

Mrs B: "Don't know, didn't read it"

Me: "let me see the message"

MrsB: "can't, I have pressed a few things and deleted it"

I despair. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've just got back from the pub.
Good bit of local gossip going on.:okay:
Sunday lunch was good. :hungry:

robgul

Legendary Member
Signing off for a bit as we're moving house tomorrow and good ol' BT may not get their act into gear to fix the new line for a few days - it's less than a mile from here, same exchange and current owner is a BT customer. Then off on Saturday for about 6 weeks in the antipodes - back just before Easter. Hopefully some relaxation after the stress of house sale/purchase and the move.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to give me some bike-riding lessons when I get back - only ridden 15 miles since mid-December and have forgottten how . . . .

Rob

Top Bottom