The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I am filing for divorce...............sad but probably unavoidable. Mrs P has cut me to the quick, I am deeply hurt, insulted, depressed and generally unhappy...............she has said my youngest boy's bike is more beautiful than my fabulous Cervelo....................................trouble is she's probably right!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

View attachment 525530
What a tiny cassette. I would never get up any hills with that! :laugh:

GM

Legendary Member
Morning all...Not much sleep here after a restless night, it was too hot like being in the Med. A good evening was had with the zoom quiz, what a great invention, we'll be doing it more often now I know how it works. Warming up nicely now, out for a walk with Alan 🐶 after breakfast. Then chill out time. 🌈

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
'I was just about to say the say thing but you beat me to it @Mo1959 .
Yesterday, I covered 24 miles was a few steep gradients thrown into it and boy, I am paying for it this morning. My legs feel tired so , apart from walking Molly ( gently) , I will not ride again till Saturday to give me time to recover. Being late sixties, the body is rather slow to get back to normal.:sad:
On my way back yesterday, passing a bike shop, I noticed there was people queuing outside the door ,observing social distancing of course, so business must be booming for them and I am pleased for them as they are new owners of this shop so it must be worrying times for them.
Anyway, time to take Molly out now and take it easy for the rest of the day.:whistle:
Stay safe everyone.:okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So here's the story. My youngest son wants to take up cycling and was going to buy a secondhand bike but was unsure what to get and asked for my help. I rang the LBS and the owner said come down I've got something he can borrow. So my lad is currently riding around on this beautiful Pinarello while he decides if he likes road riding or not. He's borrowing it until the Covid-19 thing dies down and we get the chance to sit down with my LBS for a proper chat.

The bike my lad has is identical except his has yellow tyres :wub::wub::wub: It is a thing of great beauty.........I'm sorely tempted to buy it just to look at........................I've been told I can't hang it above the fireplace.........bit of a bummer really.

It is as light as a feather - literally.

@Mo1959 yep the boy is complaining it's hard to get up hills!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another gardening question.
If we manage to get any bedding plants I plan to put them in tomorrow.
The area in question is baked dry.
I am breaking it up with a fork (will water it later) and plan to spread some xxxx** on it prior to planting.
**should I use bog standard bags of compost ??

Tenkaykev

Guru
The bike my lad has is identical except his has yellow tyres :wub::wub::wub: It is a thing of great beauty.........I'm sorely tempted to buy it just to look at........................I've been told I can't hang it above the fireplace.........

bromptonwall.jpg

A bit like this...

EDIT: Replying to PaulSB but not quite got the hang of replying to a post and quoting correctly.

Last edited:

GM

Legendary Member
I am breaking it up with a fork (will water it later) and plan to spread some xxxx** on it prior to planting.

We bought several bags of Jack's Magic, which is good...

Then my boy bought 3 bags from Asda, which is absolutely rubbish compared to Jack's Magic...

Hope this helps!

classic33

Leg End Member
^^^ I'm hoping to keep @classic33 occupied for the day*.........
*Now why would you be wanting to do a thing like that. Even if your legs may never be apart.

Don't worry it'll be daylight over that side as well, sometime.

• Have some fish, codswallop maybe
• Will it be twirling
• Odd practices that side o'Pennines
• Tucking them in as well

*Now why would you be be wanting to do a thing like that?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK. Couple of tips first; preparing your planting area, soil etc. should be done in winter. Start a compost heap for all your garden waste and pretty much anything which was once organic from your household waste - vegetable peelings, newspaper, cardboard. If there are rats in your area consider getting a sealed composting bin for anything a rat might consider edible. I can help more if you wish. The compost you make can be used to improve soil.

Don't buy cheap supermarket compost - it's cheap for a reason. Having said that I buy it BUT I have superb garden compost to mix with it - I use this mixture in pots, troughs etc.

Of the bagged composts I'm familiar with I feel Westland is good. I've used their multi-purpose compost with added John Innes this year and like it. The Jack's Magic is good but is peat based. In your situation you need water retention. I'd suggest the organic Bio Char Carbon Gold. It doesn't contain peat and could, stress could, give better moisture retention.

It's pointless spreading whatever you chose to buy over the whole area. I would look to enrich the individual holes in to which you will put your bedding plants. Dig out your hole with a trowel, mix this soil 50/50 with compost and back fill. Plant your bedding plant.

As an aside can I comment on gardening in general. The horticultural industry has created an image that gardening starts at Easter and finishes in June. This is plain WRONG. It is now, and has been for 20-30 years, a huge issue which has created the public perception gardening happens for 10 weeks a year. When I worked we achieved 70-80% of annual turnover in 10-12 weeks and knew our profit for the year at end of June. It was a nightmare.

My homemade garden compost

Last edited:
Top Bottom