The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Another gardening question.
If we manage to get any bedding plants I plan to put them in tomorrow.
The area in question is baked dry.
I am breaking it up with a fork (will water it later) and plan to spread some xxxx** on it prior to planting.
**should I use bog standard bags of compost ??
Firstly I agree wholeheartedly with @PaulSB about getting the garden ready.
@Dave7 , a good standard compost, possibly organic in nature mixed into the area you want to plant the bedding will help. Then water the plants first before you plant them. And then more watering every day as necessary while the warm weather continues.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been out and ridden 56 miles this morning, I've done a regular route out to Earlswood and back. Stopped off for 10 minutes by the church in Tanworth to eat a cereal bar. A lovely ride out on a warm and sunny morning, its still a bit breezy though. I was looking at mileages earlier, I've cycled 457 miles this month but only driven 207 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenkaykev

Guru
OK. Couple of tips first; preparing your planting area, soil etc. should be done in winter. Start a compost heap for all your garden waste and pretty much anything which was once organic from your household waste - vegetable peelings, newspaper, cardboard. If there are rats in your area consider getting a sealed composting bin for anything a rat might consider edible. I can help more if you wish. The compost you make can be used to improve soil.

Don't buy cheap supermarket compost - it's cheap for a reason. Having said that I buy it BUT I have superb garden compost to mix with it - I use this mixture in pots, troughs etc.

Of the bagged composts I'm familiar with I feel Westland is good. I've used their multi-purpose compost with added John Innes this year and like it. The Jack's Magic is good but is peat based. In your situation you need water retention. I'd suggest the organic Bio Char Carbon Gold. It doesn't contain peat and could, stress could, give better moisture retention.

It's pointless spreading whatever you chose to buy over the whole area. I would look to enrich the individual holes in to which you will put your bedding plants. Dig out your hole with a trowel, mix this soil 50/50 with compost and back fill. Plant your bedding plant.

As an aside can I comment on gardening in general. The horticultural industry has created an image that gardening starts at Easter and finishes in June. This is plain WRONG. It is now, and has been for 20-30 years, a huge issue which has created the public perception gardening happens for 10 weeks a year. When I worked we achieved 70-80% of annual turnover in 10-12 weeks and knew our profit for the year at end of June. It was a nightmare.

My homemade garden compost

View attachment 525586

If I could just pop in and ask @PaulSB about compost bins
We had one several years ago but got rid of it because of rats. Mrs Tenkay has a very strong aversion to rats and I've seen the occasional one peek out from under the shed.
Is there a specific compost bin you would recommend that is rat resistant?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We had one several years ago but got rid of it because of rats. Mrs Tenkay has a very strong aversion to rats and I've seen the occasional one peek out from under the shed.
Sorry to barge in, but I don't think there is such a thing as a rat proof one. If they want to get in somewhere they will.
I have several compost bins, including a wormery.
I have a couple along the lines of this one---
https://www.cherry-lane.co.uk/produ...5noAdJ6U64q2OrW_wR9VkzvM_x9xsSgoaAmwfEALw_wcB

You could also try your local council to see what range they have, many councils sell them at a discount to the residents.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Paulus @PaulSB .
Thanks for the advice.
I debated making my own compost but for the small amount of gardening I do I went the purchase route.
I got some Sinclair stuff at £4.99 per bag.
Also, although I see the wisdom in doing it over winter this is a quick fix as I will be getting the plants on Wednesday and need the ground to be at least half acceptable.
Thanks again.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our number 1 grandson is 24 and he and his girlfriend have just moved into their 1st house.
We took them one of our Dyson vacuum cleaners this morning (left over from when we sold the static van).
He just texted me to say he burst into tears after we left as he wasn't able to give us a hug. He must get that soft side from me as I get emotional over daft things.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It had to happen I guess. :sad:
You may remember a few weeks back I said the bearing on the washing machine was on its out ? Well, I think it had words with some of the electronic components and decided to call it a day so now my wife said we need a new one. All appliance shops are still closed so we will have to get one on line, without actually seeing it , so will have to rely and trust the reviews.
Guess what we will be doing later? I suppose it will be a choice between AO and Currys.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Could have done with something cool in my old local. :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It had to happen I guess. :sad:
You may remember a few weeks back I said the bearing on the washing machine was on its out ? Well, I think it had words with some of the electronic components and decided to call it a day so now my wife said we need a new one. All appliance shops are still closed so we will have to get one on line, without actually seeing it , so will have to rely and trust the reviews.
Guess what we will be doing later? I suppose it will be a choice between AO and Currys.
Gavroche.
I would stick a quick question on the relevant CC thread ie best machine for £x. You may get some good, quick help. Can't do any harm.
Last year we bought a new Samsung and are extremely happy with it. If you are interested I will give you the model etc.

Spent this morning doing the cleaning, amongst other things battling with the R2D2 style vacuum cleaner that drags along behind you and is forever getting caught in things, it always seems to be the wrong side of a door, the wrong side of a corner, the wrong side of the cable. Made me wonder whether George Lucas had that sort of vacuum cleaner in mind when he invented C3PO and R2D2, C3PO is the human figure trying to get the job done and R2D2 always lagging behind and holding him back.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Paulus @PaulSB .
Thanks for the advice.
I debated making my own compost but for the small amount of gardening I do I went the purchase route.
I got some Sinclair stuff at £4.99 per bag.
Also, although I see the wisdom in doing it over winter this is a quick fix as I will be getting the plants on Wednesday and need the ground to be at least half acceptable.
Thanks again.
Oh yes I completely get this.............I was hoping to encourage you to compost garden waste to use next year. If you enrich the planting holes with whatever you have bought the result should be good. Enjoy

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Sorry to barge in, but I don't think there is such a thing as a rat proof one. If they want to get in somewhere they will.
I have several compost bins, including a wormery.
I have a couple along the lines of this one---
https://www.cherry-lane.co.uk/produ...5noAdJ6U64q2OrW_wR9VkzvM_x9xsSgoaAmwfEALw_wcB

You could also try your local council to see what range they have, many councils sell them at a discount to the residents.

As @Paulus said if the buggers want to get in they will. I have a very similar bin to the one in the link above though mine was supplied by the local authority. This year a rat has chewed through the plastic in two places in order to get in. The only help I can offer is this. The most vulnerable point is the base as there isn't one and the bin stands on bare soil. I have mine stood on 4 x 2'x2' slabs. This keeps is level and impossible to tunnel in to. Inside I put a circle of plastic fencing laid on the slabs and run 1-2" up the side. Behind the slide up door I also put the same plastic fencing - the sort of thing in the link below:

Fencing

My bins are on the allotment and we live rurally. There are rats around and I just accept I'm going to get the odd one visit from time to time. When I spot one has visited I simply shove a fork in and stir everything up a few times. Do this several days on the trot and they seem to lose interest.

I actually use my bin as a wormery. Empty the contents in to the compost heap twice a year and I have 1000s of worms!!

Tenkaykev

Guru
As @Paulus said if the buggers want to get in they will. I have a very similar bin to the one in the link above though mine was supplied by the local authority. This year a rat has chewed through the plastic in two places in order to get in. The only help I can offer is this. The most vulnerable point is the base as there isn't one and the bin stands on bare soil. I have mine stood on 4 x 2'x2' slabs. This keeps is level and impossible to tunnel in to. Inside I put a circle of plastic fencing laid on the slabs and run 1-2" up the side. Behind the slide up door I also put the same plastic fencing - the sort of thing in the link below:

Fencing

My bins are on the allotment and we live rurally. There are rats around and I just accept I'm going to get the odd one visit from time to time. When I spot one has visited I simply shove a fork in and stir everything up a few times. Do this several days on the trot and they seem to lose interest.

I actually use my bin as a wormery. Empty the contents in to the compost heap twice a year and I have 1000s of worms!!
Many thanks Paul 👍

GM

Legendary Member
If anyone has a bike to sell now is definitely the time to do it. Sold my boys old folder that he bought while working in America, I put it on Gumtree at 12o/c and within 15 minutes I had 18 people interested in it. Sold on first come basis, and the guy came round an hour later. It was only a cheap old Chinese BSO as well. He wants to put the money towards an electric scooter 🛴 :sad:

Top Bottom