The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
@monkers , will the new bike be vastly different to the existing one, ie. A tourer or a fold up? I think some pictures are called for.😀

The bike I saw was new but a 2017 old stock item with a useful discount. I've contacted them; unfortunately it's a different size to advertised on their site. Because of the discount they weren't too keen on taking my Cube in p/ex. They do have something else though, still stroking the chin thoughtfully for the moment.

I do quite like my Cube. It's light, accelerative, and the geometry seems to suit me, but I'm not so impressed with the Shimano Claris gear changers. It's not just a case of changing those though, compatibilty issues mean having to change the shifters too. If I do go and swap it, it'll be for another endurance / sportive type bike.

My friend's upgrade to a Liv Avail (after just 3 weeks) means that she's getting Shimano Tiagra kit and hydraulic disc brakes. I'm less concerned about the brakes, I tend to ease up long before I need them, and I do watch the road ahead carefully, but I would like some smooth running transmission.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Phew! Considering I woke up and couldn't be bothered moving, I had a quick coffee then headed out on the bike and ended up with nearly 45 hilly miles. Running on fumes the last few miles. I will definitely enjoy a late breakfast this morning.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Overcast but blinks of sunshine and occasional short rain showers.
There are some bikes on

local FB at £5.00 in need of TLC. Have not really got the space but does anybody know where this came from? Can’t read the writing on it from the picture.
D6E1F2CA-4E30-4D0B-82FD-89645F20A7D1.png

monkers

Veteran
@monkers , which Cube do you have? I have a Cube Peloton and a Specialized Allez, both with Claris gears and no problem with them.

Hi Gavroche ... thanks for the interest. It's a Cube Axial Ws 2019 (women's geometry) bought new-old stock about three weeks ago . I posted about this the other day. I bought it while not knowing too much about modern kit. As you know there's been a bike shortage and I managed to find this one with a bit of a discount on it from stock, so it was a worth buying, It has Claris 2400 series shifters, 2000 series front and rear changers. I've been unable to get rid of the chain rub. After some digging on the Shimano site, I managed to find out that the 2400 shifters are incompatible with the 2000 front mech though OK with the rear. I'd also prefer a closer ratio cassette for smoother shifting.

I've managed to source a 2400 series front shifter. It wasn't expensive so I've ordered it and that will hopefully help me get rid of the chain rub. I just might look for a different cassette - we don't have big hills around here, so not going to need that big 32 on the back. I'd also prefer a 52 or 53 to the 50 on the front.

It's a nice bike though, and for me it's the right balance between being sporty and still being suitable for a tourer. It's quite comfy but accelerates rather well.

The bike had my eye on is full carbon and Tiagra equipped. I also just happen to love the paint scheme. I've been and seen it this morning, it looks much more beautiful in the flesh than the pic on their site - but alas not the size advertised.

This is my Cube ...
5f386750e4002d078c46bfc0b10a83e590e45c23.jpg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Schwinn Cruiser!
Isn't that an American brand?

Top Bottom