The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mr WD has been getting out of the supermarket run as well. He has been staying in the car while I struggle inevitably with a trolley that only goes sideways like a crab, old age pensioners that stand in the middle of the isles yacking to a friend standing 3 inches away from each other, others shouting to someone that they are not observing the proper distance and struggling to get the shopping back in the trolley after it has been scanned, finally getting back to the car, drive all the way home to be then told that I forgot to get XY or Z. Soon Mr WD may end up with both ears well and truly boxed. That'll learn him ^_^
Have been doing click and collect for the last two supermarket shops. We only do a big shop about once a month. It seems to work very well. Our local sainsbugs has started doing it now, so it's a bit more convenient. This way we don't get to meet up with the old codgers blocking the aisles and coughing over everything and everyone.
If we do forget any thing my local grocers normally have it .
No ears boxed today.😊:boxing:

Back from my morning bimble around the Pentlands...
B0E08F1A-1475-4DF9-8681-046B4F747D17.jpeg

D578D34E-0ABE-4A35-96EB-F15F07CD84AC.jpeg

AB36123B-CC16-4244-BE54-DBCDFFBD47F5.jpeg

1CDC65E1-5FA7-4F11-8546-D21015046FAB.jpeg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Have been doing click and collect for the last two supermarket shops. We only do a big shop about once a month. It seems to work very well. Our local sainsbugs has started doing it now, so it's a bit more convenient. This way we don't get to meet up with the old codgers blocking the aisles and coughing over everything and everyone.

We only shop once a month as well.:okay::laugh:

GM

Legendary Member
Hi Gavroche ... thanks for the interest. It's a Cube Axial Ws 2019 (women's geometry) bought new-old stock about three weeks ago . I posted about this the other day. I bought it while not knowing too much about modern kit. As you know there's been a bike shortage and I managed to find this one with a bit of a discount on it from stock, so it was a worth buying, It has Claris 2400 series shifters, 2000 series front and rear changers. I've been unable to get rid of the chain rub. After some digging on the Shimano site, I managed to find out that the 2400 shifters are incompatible with the 2000 front mech though OK with the rear. I'd also prefer a closer ratio cassette for smoother shifting.

I've managed to source a 2400 series front shifter. It wasn't expensive so I've ordered it and that will hopefully help me get rid of the chain rub. I just might look for a different cassette - we don't have big hills around here, so not going to need that big 32 on the back. I'd also prefer a 52 or 53 to the 50 on the front.

It's a nice bike though, and for me it's the right balance between being sporty and still being suitable for a tourer. It's quite comfy but accelerates rather well.

The bike had my eye on is full carbon and Tiagra equipped. I also just happen to love the paint scheme. I've been and seen it this morning, it looks much more beautiful in the flesh than the pic on their site - but alas not the size advertised.

This is my Cube ...
View attachment 526957

I think it's a good idea to get a new bike that's a couple of years old model. (does that make sense) You can get some cracking deals if you shop around. I bought a nice Genesis last year virtually half price, I do like a bargain! ......looking forward to seeing the N+1 :smile:

GM

Legendary Member

We found that click & collect brilliant. We didn't even have to get out of the car, just park up and they bring it out and put it in the boot. :okay:

Paulus

I think it's a good idea to get a new bike that's a couple of years old model. (does that make sense) You can get some cracking deals if you shop around. I bought a nice Genesis last year virtually half price, I do like a bargain! ......looking forward to seeing the N+1 :smile:
Nothing at all wrong with buying new old stock. Sometimes the newer colour schemes are a bit garish, and they may off lowered the spec a bit to stay within a price range.

monkers

Veteran
Ah ... f'crying out loud. I've been trying to fettle the Cube and found another problem. This is frustrating.

I've now discovered that the front shifter is the 2403 series for a triple chainset, meaning it has a shifter incompatibe with my chainset as well as incompatible with the front changer. :wacko:

Paulus

Ah ... f'crying out loud. I've been trying to fettle the Cube and found another problem. This is frustrating.

I've now discovered that the front shifter is the 2403 series for a triple chainset, meaning it has a shifter incompatibe with my chainset as well as incompatible with the front changer. :wacko:
You've only had the bike for a few weeks and it seems to be a bit of a bits and pieces set up.
You should of got a free service after a while to settle things after a bit of use as things bed in and the cables give a bit. Can you not contact the bike shop and get them to sort things out?

pawl

Legendary Member

I am as you describe it an old codger who doesn’t cough all over the goods or block the isles Ikeep to social distancing and don’t travel miles to visit the tourist attractions unlike a lot of people

monkers

Veteran
You're right. It's just three weeks. I've been getting chain rub and the noise has been getting worse. No amount of adjustment seems to sort it. I've just examined the 50T chain wheel with a magnifying glass, it's looking pretty worn out already, some teeth seem to have about a third missing from them. I touched one with a file just to see how hard the metal is - result - soft as sh!t, just as if it's aluminium rather than steel.

When I was looking I went first to my local bike shop - Solent Cycles. They didn't have anything in my price range and size. I also set a budget because as I've been recovering from illness, I was unsure how well I might manage. I ended up buying on the net from a shop about 120 miles away and paid £40 for Parcel force to deliver it. Returning it is not so simple, nor is popping in for the free service.

I do want to keep cycling, but this Claris kit is not impressing me much. Also the steerer has shaken loose three times in as many weeks - I've not offroaded it or anything.

I think I'll p/ex this at first opportunity. It's a shame, as I do like it as a bike.

Top Bottom