The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Take it this one is for me Dave. Apologies this is a bit long but there's quite a lot to day! I think you can encourage your brother that a decent compost heap is simple if one follows a few guidelines:
  • If it was once organic it can be composted but unless one has a heap which works very well, that is high temperatures, it's best to avoid a few things. These would be anything which is twiggy or woody, they simply take a long time to break down
  • Include paper and cardboard. These provide carbon and help to create airpockets in the heap. Tear up in to sensibly sized pieces. Remove sticky labels, tape etc. from cardboard - they won't break down. Only use brown or white cardboard, anything with pictures or shiny probably has a plastic film on it which won't break down - it's the film which is printed not the cardboard.
  • When adding bulky material, large leaves etc. - for example brassica or rhubarb leaves - chop these up before adding to the heap. It's a few minutes work but by damaging the leaves break down is speeded up
  • Add material in layers especially when adding leaves or grass cuttings. These are best mixed with paper or cardboard to prevent a dense soggy mess building up
  • Before adding substantial amounts of material turn over the top 9-12" with a fork. Add the new material and turn this in to the top layer.
  • Avoid the heap getting too wet. Cover the top with plastic of some sort and chuck a bit of old carpet on top of this
  • Hops are brilliant for getting a heap working - the centre of mine is +/-60C. Animal manure should create a similar effect but I've no direct experience as I don't have a source.
  • If hops or manure aren't available following the above will work but take longer.
Kitchen waste is a good addition but will probably attract rats. I compost this separately in a rat proof plastic bin and then add it to the heap every six months or so.

If these thin bright red worms appear, probably in their 100s, the heap is a really good one!!! Tiger worms will do the work of breaking everything down. They live on or near the top of the heap but die off when dug into ordinary soil. Once the heap is fully composted they disappear - no food!! If your brother needs some he can buy them online - once you've got a population they never disappear completely.

View attachment 534894
Thanks so much. I will pass this on to him. Much appreciated.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@PaulSB @Mo1959
Sorry BUT............I was watching the match on tv last night. 21.30 I got tired so recorded it and went to bed.
Slept like a baby/log (take your pick) and woke at 0500 for a pee. Back to bed and woke again at 0620.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Agadoo doo doo...
Good morning fellow retirees,
Went downstairs to put a brew on only to discover that we're out of ground coffee.
Mrs Tenkay ordered the last lot but inadvertently got coffee beans instead. Being the considerate soul that I am and not wishing to disturb Mrs Tenkay, I took the coffee beans and grinder out to the outhouse and ground them out there.
Sitting down enjoying a fresh brew at the moment and I thought I would leave you all with an earworm 😁
Agadoo do do...
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏃‍♂️🚶🚲🏊🌞

Morning all, still and sunny here just now. I suppose I will go out on my bike for a bit, again. You can indeed have too much of a good thing.

Still pondering Dirk’s image of Exmoor spookiness last night. I first read Lorna Doone as a schoolboy and I read it again every few years, it’s the only book I’ve read more than twice. My maternal grandfather was from Tiverton and his family name was Reed, I like to think perhaps a distant ancestral connection with the Ridd family name of the book. A conceit, I know !

Top Bottom