The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
I went into the big bike shop yesterday to inquire about putting a bigger cassette on my Cube and was disappointed when they said the biggest one I could have was 11-34. My present one is 11-32 so not worth it really. I have watched a lot of Youtube videos showing that it should be possible to have a 40 teeth with the aid of a wolf tooth but the guy wouldn't have it. He even suggested that I buy a ebike. Cheeky sod!

I've been thinking of doing the same, ironically there was a chap on FB this morning talking about the same...

...but I think this is going a bit too far....:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Something for those having a go at the weather.

Twenty five years ago, today, you'll have been complaining about the heat(dropping as low as 25°C some nights). The grass was burnt, the roads were melting and you'll have been praying for a bit of cool weather, rain even!

D

Deleted member 1258

Rain stopped play. :sad: I got as far as the right turn for Purley Chase, by then it was p*****g down, I turned through Birchley Heath and rode for home, got in looking like a drowned rat, then did that jeans advert thing, stood in the kitchen peeling off wet clothes and chucking them in the washing machine, so only a measly 22 miles for me today. There was no rain in the weather forecast this morning and I've also got washing out, its now wetter than it was when I put it out.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Yes.....76 was a standout year.
We had a week on Anglesey in the April and 2 weeks in Cornwall later on.
We were nearly black (can I say that?).
82 was also a good year.
Cant really recall the 25 years ago one....95??
I remember the winter of 1995, very cold. We just moved house and there was no central heating in the new one !! We also had a tree fall down across the drive on Christmas day and peacocks that escaped from the local zoo , in our garden.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember the winter of 1995, very cold. We just moved house and there was no central heating in the new one !! We also had a tree fall down across the drive on Christmas day and peacocks that escaped from the local zoo , in our garden.

The winter of 2010 is one that stands out. I'd just started a new job and I remember riding in some mornings when the temperature was down below -11, we also had a lot of snow that winter, I'm sure the snow started in November, there was one road on the commute that was never treated, I remember tip toeing down the hill one morning on a mixture of frozen snow and sheet ice with a 3.5 ton truck practically sat on my rear mudguard.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
In 1976 I had a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I was trying to keep them cool. I hated that weather.

2010 was so cold here In Wales and the snow was 2 or 3 feet deep. We couldn't get off the property for 3 weeks as the lane was cpmpletely blocked by snow.
1976 we were holidaying on a boat on the Norfolk Broads and I got sunstroke! Pretty sure 2010 would be the year I had some horrendous drives in deep snow getting to and from work.

Top Bottom