The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Still pondering Dirk’s image of Exmoor spookiness last night. I first read Lorna Doone as a schoolboy and I read it again every few years, it’s the only book I’ve read more than twice. My maternal grandfather was from Tiverton and his family name was Reed, I like to think perhaps a distant ancestral connection with the Ridd family name of the book. A conceit, I know !
My family lineage can be traced to Devon to a village from which my surname comes. The graveyard is, from what I recall, full of ancestors.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agadoo doo doo...
Good morning fellow retirees,
Went downstairs to put a brew on only to discover that we're out of ground coffee.
Mrs Tenkay ordered the last lot but inadvertently got coffee beans instead. Being the considerate soul that I am and not wishing to disturb Mrs Tenkay, I took the coffee beans and grinder out to the outhouse and ground them out there.
Sitting down enjoying a fresh brew at the moment and I thought I would leave you all with an earworm 😁
Agadoo do do...
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏃‍♂️🚶🚲🏊🌞
Somebody's feeling very bright and sunny........... grinding coffee beans in his shed??????

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning, it's quite bright and breezy in stark contrast to when I woke.

Today has been bizarre already. I think my mind has given up knowing not only what day it is but also the time. Woke at 3.50, wide awake, downstairs, coffee, browse and read paper, wind and heavy rain. 6.15 I felt sleepy, back to bed woke again at 8.40, bright and sunny.

Went downstairs and thought "I fancy tea and scones!" I never drink tea in the morning, never. Have I missed a morning, is it afternoon??

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good morning everybody. Had my breakfast and did my morning call to my son in Taiwan on Google Duo. It is 34 degrees overthere! He still has 10 days to go before he is released from his hotel room and do some work. In the meantime , he has loads of documents relating to his job to study so it keeps him occupied for a while. He says the food is good although they give him some weird stuff, some he eats, some he doesn't. They seem to be very keen on soup overthere too.
I took Molly in the mountains yesterday and we got drenched. Molly didn't seem to mind though.
We had rain all night but it is clear now so about to take her out again but local this time.
I went into the big bike shop yesterday to inquire about putting a bigger cassette on my Cube and was disappointed when they said the biggest one I could have was 11-34. My present one is 11-32 so not worth it really. I have watched a lot of Youtube videos showing that it should be possible to have a 40 teeth with the aid of a wolf tooth but the guy wouldn't have it. He even suggested that I buy a ebike. Cheeky sod!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good morning everybody. Had my breakfast and did my morning call to my son in Taiwan on Google Duo. It is 34 degrees overthere! He still has 10 days to go before he is released from his hotel room and do some work. In the meantime , he has loads of documents relating to his job to study so it keeps him occupied for a while. He says the food is good although they give him some weird stuff, some he eats, some he doesn't. They seem to be very keen on soup overthere too.
I took Molly in the mountains yesterday and we got drenched. Molly didn't seem to mind though.
We had rain all night but it is clear now so about to take her out again but local this time.
I went into the big bike shop yesterday to inquire about putting a bigger cassette on my Cube and was disappointed when they said the biggest one I could have was 11-34. My present one is 11-32 so not worth it really. I have watched a lot of Youtube videos showing that it should be possible to have a 40 teeth with the aid of a wolf tooth but the guy wouldn't have it. He even suggested that I buy a ebike. Cheeky sod!
When I was renewing my hybrid one I went from 32 to 34. Not sure I notice much difference. Only other thing would be a sub compact chainset if the bike would take it. 48/32 or even 46/30 are available but whether they would work, not sure.

classic33

Leg End Member
Agadoo doo doo...
Good morning fellow retirees,
Went downstairs to put a brew on only to discover that we're out of ground coffee.
Mrs Tenkay ordered the last lot but inadvertently got coffee beans instead. Being the considerate soul that I am and not wishing to disturb Mrs Tenkay, I took the coffee beans and grinder out to the outhouse and ground them out there.
Sitting down enjoying a fresh brew at the moment and I thought I would leave you all with an earworm 😁
Agadoo do do...
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏃‍♂️🚶🚲🏊🌞

Do not check the earworm if of a delicate nature.

Top Bottom