The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well done, thats about a 100 miles more than I've done this week.
I find I kind of have week about of doing a longer one then not so much the following. A lot depends on the weather too I suppose. It's not been too bad a week.

D

Deleted member 1258

I find I kind of have week about of doing a longer one then not so much the following. A lot depends on the weather too I suppose. It's not been too bad a week.

Its the weather that cut my mileage last week, most weeks I'll manage around 100 miles, this week I'm going to be busy and it looks like Monday is going to be the only day I'll have time to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

monkers

Veteran
Back again, I've just remembered that the Coombe Gibbet to Overton took you across Watership Down, at least I think it did, or is it a kind of a dream... 🐇🐇🐇

I had no idea! But it's real! What were you hoping to find there Kev? Some Bunnies? This kind of dream? :laugh:

lee-seok-ho-bng4s.jpg

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good morming. Je suis leve, just finished my breakfast and about to do a Google Duo call to my son in Taiwan, then I will take Molly to the beach so she can have a good run, chasing a tennis ball. Weather looks good I must say and I am on recovery mode after yesterday's long ride, my longest so far this year. Grass to cut and a couple of things to put up on the wall too and possibly more painting the fence as my wife bought two new tins of paint yesterday and left them where they can't be ignored.
We had our weekly family quiz on Zoom last night and I was the quiz master. Something was mentioned about a bbq tonight at my stepson's house if I help him with some diy he is struggling with in his garden but I am waiting confirmation of this.
My stepdaugher, who lives in Devon, said that the M5 was saturated with tourists heading West and the pubs were at full capacity! I can see a second wave of the virus coming shortly as people are so foolish and shortsighted.
Have a good day every one.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They do have Brighteyes though 😉

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have decided to try and quit caffeine to see if I can get more than a couple of hours sleep per night. No doubt I will be plagued by more headaches for several days but I will give it a go. Just ordered more Barleycup online as I enjoy it for a hot drink. You’ll need to excuse me if I get crabbit! :laugh:

Many years ago I did a little experiment when training for an event.
At the time it was possible to be disqualified from a race if the levels of caffeine in your blood were above a certain level. Caffeine being a stimulant it was thought that it may give an unfair advantage.
I abstained from coffee and anything else that contained caffeine for six weeks prior to the race. I did get one or two headaches at first, and found my sleep was disturbed. This only lasted a few days. I made sure that i was drinking plenty of water as I'd get dehydration headaches from time to time as well.
About 2/3 of the way through the race I was feeling particularly mentally and physically fatigued. I asked one of the race support crew if I could have a strong black coffee, I drank it down and the effect was astonishing. I became mentally more alert and the constant fatigue seemed to fall away. I pushed on feeling refreshed for a while and then later as the fatigue started to creep back in I drank another strong coffee. Alas, the effect was much diminished and that "jolt" of energy I'd experienced after the first cup wasn't repeated.
It does go to show what a powerful stimulant caffeine can be. ☕☕

Top Bottom