The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Didn’t he make fishing rods or was it reels?

See fishing rods:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
See fishing rods:laugh:
Just reel em in
s-l1600.jpg

monkers

Veteran
Evenin' all. I managed my retrieve driving stint this afternoon. It proved difficult with the signal often dropping out. It's surprisingly difficult to follow a paraglider by car even when using tracking devices - not being able to use a mobile on the go and the limited number of stopping places along the way.

Danni flew her paraglider from Combe Gibbet (near Newbury) a distance of 54km to Petersfield after losing height and landing safely. Another flier came down in the same spot.

This evening there was less good news, a good friend of Danni's had worse luck. He flew from a different site; following a difficult recovery after a crash on a hill in Hampshire, he is now in hospital with a suspected spinal injury. :sad:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hitching up the wagon at 10.30 tomorrow morning and heading of to Frome for a week. :hello:
Sithi

Keep an eye on the horizon!

12boy

Guru
Having robbed my Surly of its SA3 speed wheel I put on a 16 tooth wheel and enjoyed the extra 10 gear inches from its usual 18 tooth. I enjoyed seeing a Wright Bros bike at the Smithsonian acwhile back and although the Surly doesn't have wood wheels nor spoon brakes and other old time stuff, they are set up the same, mostly,sort of path racery. Only 27C when I got back, so wasn't too hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_093710.jpg
    IMG_20200418_093710.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 3

classic33

Leg End Member
Having robbed my Surly of its SA3 speed wheel I put on a 16 tooth wheel and enjoyed the extra 10 gear inches from its usual 18 tooth. I enjoyed seeing a Wright Bros bike at the Smithsonian acwhile back and although the Surly doesn't have wood wheels nor spoon brakes and other old time stuff, they are set up the same, mostly,sort of path racery. Only 27C when I got back, so wasn't too hot.
What's the age of the bike pictured?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning, looks like a glorious day ahead of us. A decent sleep last night so feeling pretty chipper this morning.

My three lads are home for a belated birthday BBQ. Should have been last Sunday but weather forced us to postpone. We can't get seven people socially distanced in our little cottage without giving them a room each so moving indoors wasn't an option!

Heading out for a ride at 8.00. At 50 miles and 3300 feet I suspect this will be challenging. I haven't ridden with this group of guys in months so I'll be interested to see how I get on. It will be pacey and includes at least one, possibly two, brutal climbs. 😢

On yesterday's ride I saw a disappointing sight. A group of nine riders congregated on a road junction out of a small local lane on to a main road. This was clearly a meet up. Not only were they nine in number they blocked the junction entirely to the extent they had to move to let us two cyclists through. I didn't say thank you and muttered instead. A little further on we saw another four who I think were looking to join up. Very disappointed to see this behaviour from local riders.

Top Bottom