The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The plasterer turned up, £40 to plaster the new chimney breast next Saturday, if he turns up which I think he will then he will get twice that quote, I have seen his work and it is good but he does not know how to quote a job. In fact it might well be a ton because that is what I think the job is worth, I would not expect anybody to give up a Saturday morning for less.
Blinkin eck.......at those rates, any jobs you want doing I'm your man.
I may send my assistant (MrsD) though ^_^. Cash up feont of course.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,

Seeing @monkers message about her hang gliding friend Danni launching from Coombe Gibbet reminded me that there used to be a cross country race from Coombe Gibbet to Overton.
I remember waiting at the top of the hill for the race to start while gazing in awe at people circling above on hang gliders.
Never get me up in one due to my fear of heights but it looks great fun.
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏊🚶🚲🏃‍♂️🌞

Dave7

Legendary Member
Evenin' all. I managed my retrieve driving stint this afternoon. It proved difficult with the signal often dropping out. It's surprisingly difficult to follow a paraglider by car even when using tracking devices - not being able to use a mobile on the go and the limited number of stopping places along the way.

Danni flew her paraglider from Combe Gibbet (near Newbury) a distance of 54km to Petersfield after losing height and landing safely. Another flier came down in the same spot.

This evening there was less good news, a good friend of Danni's had worse luck. He flew from a different site; following a difficult recovery after a crash on a hill in Hampshire, he is now in hospital with a suspected spinal injury. :sad:
As I said previously.......I like the idea but doing something like that with no backup :wacko:.
Even with scuba diving we had a 2nd DV (mouth piece) and a pony (mini tank with its own mouth piece).

Evenin' all. I managed my retrieve driving stint this afternoon. It proved difficult with the signal often dropping out. It's surprisingly difficult to follow a paraglider by car even when using tracking devices - not being able to use a mobile on the go and the limited number of stopping places along the way.

Danni flew her paraglider from Combe Gibbet (near Newbury) a distance of 54km to Petersfield after losing height and landing safely. Another flier came down in the same spot.

This evening there was less good news, a good friend of Danni's had worse luck. He flew from a different site; following a difficult recovery after a crash on a hill in Hampshire, he is now in hospital with a suspected spinal injury. :sad:
Did a hang-gliding course at Combe Gibbet back in the mid eighties. Don't think paragliding had been invented back then, and those gliders were non too easy to lug back up the hill. If you got good at it you could top land, but never got to that stage. Good to know the location is still being used :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good morning, looks like a glorious day ahead of us. A decent sleep last night so feeling pretty chipper this morning.

My three lads are home for a belated birthday BBQ. Should have been last Sunday but weather forced us to postpone. We can't get seven people socially distanced in our little cottage without giving them a room each so moving indoors wasn't an option!

Heading out for a ride at 8.00. At 50 miles and 3300 feet I suspect this will be challenging. I haven't ridden with this group of guys in months so I'll be interested to see how I get on. It will be pacey and includes at least one, possibly two, brutal climbs. 😢

On yesterday's ride I saw a disappointing sight. A group of nine riders congregated on a road junction out of a small local lane on to a main road. This was clearly a meet up. Not only were they nine in number they blocked the junction entirely to the extent they had to move to let us two cyclists through. I didn't say thank you and muttered instead. A little further on we saw another four who I think were looking to join up. Very disappointed to see this behaviour from local riders.
And they wonder why cyclists have a bad name.
One of my Cheshire rides** is through some lovely countryside but I often see groups of 10-15 ridin 3 abreast..... blocking all the traffic behind them. So selfish.
**its months since I did it :wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you take Paypal.
I take anything. Paypal, gold bars, Krugerrands.......so long as its up front^_^

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Looking good out there today.
Having a lie in and a couple of cuppas before we pack up.
We've had a nice week here on Exmoor and it's been good to give the van a run out off grid. At least we've got back into the swing of things and all systems on the van are working OK. I did a full service on the van in early March, but you never know with these things. I wonder how many people hitched up their caravans this week, after having not used them since last year, only to have problems when towing or when on site.
It worries me how little care a lot of folk take.

monkers

Veteran
Just an update. News on Danni's paragliding friend. He fell about 50 feet which, as I commented on yesterday, is in the danger window for reserve chute effectiveness - too low for chute to open and brake the fall, and too high not to hurt or kill yourself.

His spinal injury is not severe, but his left arm was wrenched from the socket and the tendons torn from the bone. Apparently he will need two operations the first of which will be later today.

Danni out flying again today, though coastal flying instead at Barton-on-Sea. I worry about that as the flying height tends to be in the reserve chute ineffectiveness zone; it's safer to be 500 feet up and have a problem than be at 50 it seems.

I shall stay local, have a bimble and maybe attempt a few fast lengths of Henry Cort Way (it's a smooth, arrow straight two mile bus and cycle route only - no cars, no pedestrians).

data=uK_lea1fTFPX9IUo-yDgOSvssVTs9GGy2j0HCr-LzVFZU0-ENeRERdUHpvZqhNaXRKCAN_HXgswhwMu9c-0OHvi5j...png

5apr14b.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom