The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Superb sir..... su-bloody-perb ^_^
Local Somerset brewery - Find Tuned Brewery 'Langport Bitter'.
Slipping down a treat........good job it's only a short walk back to the van.:okay:

The small portion Sunday lunch hit the spot as well.

No wonder there's so many fat kids around!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was about to set off out on my bike yesterday when my mobile rang. It was the local health centre offering me the dubious pleasure of being stabbed in the arm (flu jab). I am very needle-phobic so I don't tend to volunteer for these things but it makes sense to start having the annual flu jab now I am becoming an oldie like the rest of you so I agreed to make an appearance! They wanted me to go down there at a few minutes notice. No way! I'm nipping down tomorrow instead.

PS I use a Croix de Fer with mudguards and 32mm road tyres. Nice and comfy on the road and copes absolutely fine on all but the roughest of tracks.
I do it on a CAADX... I think my tyres are 35 mm semi-slicks, which are a good compromise for mixed terrain. Very versatile bikes...

The only time I can remember when the yellow jersey changed hands on the final day was the year it was a time trial.Figon was in yellow.Lemond won the time trial to take yellow by if memory serves me correctly by 3 secs.
It was 8 seconds. The excitement of watching that TdF in 1989 was what got me back into cycling after a 20 year break. 31 years later I am still going...

I don't think that it has ever happened, but in theory the 'winner' of the TdF could have a problem on the last day (crash or illness) and lose the tour. I think that it should be acknowledged that the final day is a celebration followed by a sprint finish and not count it for the yellow jersey.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was about to set off out on my bike yesterday when my mobile rang. It was the local health centre offering me the dubious pleasure of being stabbed in the arm (flu jab). I am very needle-phobic so I don't tend to volunteer for these things but it makes sense to start having the annual flu jab now I am becoming an oldie like the rest of you so I agreed to make an appearance! They wanted me to go down there at a few minutes notice. No way! I'm nipping down tomorrow instead.

I do it on a CAADX... I think my tyres are 35 mm semi-slicks, which are a good compromise for mixed terrain. Very versatile bikes...

View attachment 548210

View attachment 548211

View attachment 548212

View attachment 548213

View attachment 548214

View attachment 548215

View attachment 548216

View attachment 548217

View attachment 548218

View attachment 548219

It was 8 seconds. The excitement of watching that TdF in 1989 was what got me back into cycling after a 20 year break. 31 years later I am still going...

I don't think that it has ever happened, but in theory the 'winner' of the TdF could have a problem on the last day (crash or illness) and lose the tour. I think that it should be acknowledged that the final day is a celebration followed by a sprint finish and not count it for the yellow jersey.

Lovely photos. Well done

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My dad always refused to have a flu jab and my sister is the same.

ColinJ

My dad always refused to have a flu jab and my sister is the same.
I had 'proper' flu once and I don't fancy getting it again!

A 100% effective flu test is available. The sick person is informed that a kindly billionaire has left a bin bag full of £10 notes for them on their doorstep. If the 'flu' sufferer leaps out of bed and rushes down to the front door then they actually have a cold! If they do have flu, they groan and tell the bearer of the good news to go away and leave them to suffer in peace. Oh, and turn the light off on the way out... :laugh:

ColinJ

I told Mrs @BoldonLad that we would get E-Bikes when we were 75 (now 73).

But, recently, when out cycling, we met a couple who were 93 and 90, still on pedal cycles.

I revised the offer to Mrs @BoldonLad to when we are 85 ;)
That reminds me of this...

HLaB's photo of the summit of the Port de Tudons reminds me of one of my Costa Blanca trips. That mountain is one of the biggish climbs near Benidorm and we always went up that a couple of times during the Spring training camps I attended.

On one occasion we had climbed the Tudons from sea level on the Benidorm side which (as you can see from the photo) involves over 1,000 metres of ascent. We'd descended the far side, climbed back up to Confrides then whizzed down to a cafe at Guadalest where we had a long break in the sunshine.

I was sat there chatting to a married couple and their friend. I'd met them there 4 years on the trot. An overweight man waddled over to us, followed by his wife. He spoke to the husband in our couple ...

Fat man: "Excuse me - I couldn't help overhearing you - you're British aren't you?"

Cyclist: "Yes."

Fat man: "I was wondering if you are cyclists?"

Cyclist: "Well, we certainly didn't all drive up here wearing Lycra shorts!"

Fat man (flustered): "Ah yes, I suppose so! Er, is there some kind of cycle race going on today because we drove up the Tudons earlier and saw lots of cyclists riding up it?"

Cyclist: "That could have been us - we rode over it on the way here."

Fat man (shocked): "Eh? Well, I used to be a cyclist when I was young but of course I'm too old for all that now. I retired this year - I'm 65!"

Cyclist (spitting out his coffee): "Absolute piffle, man - apart from that young man there [me] we are all well into our 70s! We come out here every winter to spend 3 months riding in the sunshine!"

Fat man (flabbergasted): "I, er, well, you ..."

Wife of fat man: "Right, that's decided it - I'm buying us bikes when we get home!"

It was a fantastic moment! :thumbsup:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had 'proper' flu once and I don't fancy getting it again!

A 100% effective flu test is available. The sick person is informed that a kindly billionaire has left a bin bag full of £10 notes for them on their doorstep. If the 'flu' sufferer leaps out of bed and rushes down to the front door then they actually have a cold! If they do have flu, they groan and tell the bearer of the good news to go away and leave them to suffer in peace. Oh, and turn the light off on the way out... :laugh:
Have said before.... . I had proper flu early 80s. I was young and fit but it got me.
Doctor thought it was meningitis. I don't recall as I was out of it-delirious. Off work for 3 months.
Not a good thing to have

12boy

Guru
Jan Heine of the Bicycle Quarterly has written much about the superior qualities of larger tires with flexible sidewalls and lower tire pressure, and makes a case that unless you are in a velodrome, real world road conditions result in their being faster than narrow high pressure tires. He sells a variety of these tires, which so far are too spendy for me. Both my Holdsworth Special and my Surly Steamroller fit 35 mm tires comfortably, and next to my Brompton are my favorite bikes and they would have no trouble with the roads Colin J posted pics of. In my mind, gravel bikes are pretty much the same as early mtn bikes and many "road" bikes of the 80s....longer wheelbase and the room for wider tires. Changing the handlebars and tires to suit conditions is all it takes to make these versatile bikes deal with a variety of conditions. As far as weight goes, I ride around 20 miles a day or less, grinding away in taller gears at low rpms and 25 pounds seems fine to me. All three of the aforementioned bikes require little maintenance other than keeping the tires aired up and new brake pads, tires and chains as needed roll along just fine. A new bike, though, can rekindle interest and put a new sparkle on paths you have ridden for years.​

Top Bottom