The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You both sound like my late dad! :whistle:

He developed prostate cancer and told me that he was having to have huge needles stuck in his stomach as part of the treatment. The thought of that made me shudder...

Then when I got all clotty, I ended up in hospital having daily Heparin shots until my warfarin kicked in. It turns out that it is a small needle, and it goes into the fat layer on the abdomen not through into the actual stomach! :laugh:

I agree about the discomfort though. It starts to throb like a wasp sting.

When the nurse knows what (s)he is doing then it usually isn't a problem, but I had one who was completely lacking in skill, empathy, or common sense. She stuck the damn thing in, missed the vein, wiggled the needle about, then wiggled it some more. It was really painful and was making me feel sick so I started to tell her to be more careful but it was too late... I went out like a light! :blush:

I got her again a month or so later and thought that she couldn't possibly cock it up again, but she did! I was anxious every time I went to the clinic after that, and breathed a sigh of relief when I got a skilled nurse instead of her.

My regular blood tests are okay now because they now use a machine that only needs a drop of blood from a pricked finger, which is much better***.

*** One nurse told me of a patient who had a horror of having her finger pricked, but was perfectly okay with having blood taken from a vein!!! It takes all sorts, eh? :wacko:

What a wuss for saying yours was worse. :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Unless your a Catholic, then every dam thing is a sin. :laugh:

I am not a Catholic, but, Mrs @BoldonLad is.

It seems to me, as a none member, that all of the enjoyable things, are sins ;)

One of my favourite exchanges is, if I have been stuffing may face with some treat, to be told "do you have to eat all of it?, there are people starving in the world". My reply, "if I leave a few squares of chocolate (or, whatever I have been munching), will that solve the problem?" ;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am not a Catholic, but, Mrs @BoldonLad is.

It seems to me, as a none member, that all of the enjoyable things, are sins ;)

One of my favourite exchanges is, if I have been stuffing may face with some treat, to be told "do you have to eat all of it?, there are people starving in the world". My reply, "if I leave a few squares of chocolate (or, whatever I have been munching), will that solve the problem?" ;)

When I was young I remember complaining that I didn't like this or that to eat and my mum would say "don't you realise just how many people in the world are starving? They would love to be able to eat what you have". And I would reply " they can have it then because it's horrible ".

Then I would get a clip round the ear for talking back. Those were the days eh? The good old days. :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I was young I remember complaining that I didn't like this or that to eat and my mum would say "don't you realise just how many people in the world are starving? They would love to be able to eat what you have". And I would reply " they can have it then because it's horrible ".

Then I would get a clip round the ear for talking back. Those were the days eh? The good old days. :laugh:
Imagine that happening to @Dirk .
He would be sending them loads of fish n chips with faggots and peas ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You both sound like my late dad! :whistle:

He developed prostate cancer and told me that he was having to have huge needles stuck in his stomach as part of the treatment. The thought of that made me shudder...

Then when I got all clotty, I ended up in hospital having daily Heparin shots until my warfarin kicked in. It turns out that it is a small needle, and it goes into the fat layer on the abdomen not through into the actual stomach! :laugh:

I agree about the discomfort though. It starts to throb like a wasp sting.

When the nurse knows what (s)he is doing then it usually isn't a problem, but I had one who was completely lacking in skill, empathy, or common sense. She stuck the damn thing in, missed the vein, wiggled the needle about, then wiggled it some more. It was really painful and was making me feel sick so I started to tell her to be more careful but it was too late... I went out like a light! :blush:

I got her again a month or so later and thought that she couldn't possibly cock it up again, but she did! I was anxious every time I went to the clinic after that, and breathed a sigh of relief when I got a skilled nurse instead of her.

My regular blood tests are okay now because they now use a machine that only needs a drop of blood from a pricked finger, which is much better***.

*** One nurse told me of a patient who had a horror of having her finger pricked, but was perfectly okay with having blood taken from a vein!!! It takes all sorts, eh? :wacko:
I agree that stomach injections are probably the worst.
On my last major hospital visit to Paisley a large toughie from Paisley came round taking blood. As she was aiming for my left arm I suggested the right arm was easier. " Never you mind I'll get blood out of a stone " was the response.
My son who is currently in Taiwan was doing a diver paramedic course which involved several weekend shifts in A&E at Monklands. They were given a white coat and the equipment and put on to giving tetanus injections to all the Buckfast Warriers carted in as walking wounded on Saturday nights with only rudimentary training. The nurses were quite happy to have some rufty tufty divers wandering around.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
40 odd years ago i had to have an operation and because I smoked at the time I had to have injections of Heprin into my stomach as there was a chance that my blood might clot. That was bloomin painful to have an injection every day for 7 days Into my stomach, was very ouchy to say the least.:cry:
Nowadays even if in only for a few days everybody in a bed gets one, at least in Scotland they do.

Top Bottom