The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A case of "ignorance is bliss" perhaps?

Now you have a whole 12 months to stew about it ;)
Well, at least I won't go in next time expecting the same pleasant experience as today and then get a nasty surprise!

I got as far as the door of the room in the health centre before getting anxious, which is a huge improvement on what I used to be like. If I can just be anxious for 30 seconds and in pain for 15 seconds, that isn't too bad.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, at least I won't go in next time expecting the same pleasant experience as today and then get a nasty surprise!

I got as far as the door of the room in the health centre before getting anxious, which is a huge improvement on what I used to be like. If I can just be anxious for 30 seconds and in pain for 15 seconds, that isn't too bad.
You went in this time expecting the worst, it never happened, which may have eased the pain.

Try here next time!
IMG_20200921_173409.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
The NHS is now so rubbish in Wales that last year they didn't contact Mr WD to go for his flu jab. To say they are incompetent is an under statement. I have no faith in the Drs or hospitals in Wales.

Had a text from my surgery asking me to go for my flu jab. Probably doing all the oldies first This year they are doing a clinic having booked appointments.
Job done.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes, I must venture further afield. Most of my pics are inclined to be local. Another summer over and I have never taken a jaunt anywhere else, although with Covid, it never felt like something I was that keen to do anyway.
It was not my intention to criticise your pics as being local. After all most of the ones I have posted this summer have been within a few miles of either my own home or that of my son. I had hoped this summer to explore a bit more of Banff and Buchan as so far not too overrun with tourists but Covid put paid to that idea.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm going to head out into the sunshine for an hour or so before I go to have my flu jab.

I was trying to work out where my fear of jabs comes from and I eventually remembered standing in line for jabs at school when I was 12. On one occasion I was 10 boys back and saw 2 or 3 start screaming and crying ahead of me, which got me really nervous. Then the boy in front of me fainted when they stuck the needle in his arm. That spooked me so I wriggled when they spiked me, which didn't go down well! :laugh:

I am finally getting better now that I am old(-ish). I still don't like needles, but they do seem to be smaller and sharper than the ones I remember from my childhood, so they don't tend to hurt as much.

I'm afraid that having a canula put in a vein on the back of my hand for CT scans is still something that I hate. Hopefully, I won't need to have many more of them done now that my clotting problems are under control...
In my experience they seem to stick a cannula in for almost any procedure. You do get a trolley to hang the bag on but a nuisance going for a shower or to the bog.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In my experience they seem to stick a cannula in for almost any procedure. You do get a trolley to hang it on but a nuisance going for a shower or to the bog.
There is just something really 'icky' about the back of the hand! And I did knock it a few times, which didn't help.

I was a bit out of it in hospital, but I have a vague recollection of them putting one in my arm and leaving it in for a few days.

D

Deleted member 1258

No but it tends to be explosive and you do not wish to be too far from a toilet. In one ward I was in they gave about 4 people the dose at the same time with only one ward toilet. The experienced patients sussed out any alternative refuges within sprinting distance in advance.

My Good Lady has mobility problems, no chance of her sprinting anywhere, the doctor prescribed her a laxative recently, kept me occupied following her around with a mop and bucket, and needed extra washing done.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a good day, an excellent bike ride this morning, navigating unfamiliar lanes added extra interest to the ride, we also had a pleasant evening down the club, we won 60 quid on the bingo, and generally had a good evening being sociable.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've been on an absolutely stunning ride in the Lakes. Quiet lanes, good climbs, no people, no cars, hugely varying scenery, beautiful valleys, great pasty shop and a cafe selling homemade Chorley cake.

It did include Wrynose but from the easy, Hardknott, side.

Last time I had a ride as good as this was the Outer Hebrides in 2004 - I'm not joking today has been wonderful.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been on an absolutely stunning ride in the Lakes. Quiet lanes, good climbs, no people, no cars, hugely varying scenery, beautiful valleys, great pasty shop and a cafe selling homemade Chorley cake.

It did include Wrynose but from the easy, Hardknott, side. View attachment 548466

View attachment 548467

View attachment 548468

Last time I had a ride as good as this was the Outer Hebrides in 2004 - I'm not joking today has been wonderful.
Free range barbeque!!

Top Bottom