The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Countesthorpe the destination, 60 miles the journey. An interesting mornings cycling, It started out as a routine Monday ride, but when I came to cross the A426 and ride into Gilmorton the road was closed, rode down almost into the village but found the rest of the road sealed off, theres a new estate there and I did think of riding through the new estate they're building but parts of it are still a building site and I didn't fancy that, so I rode back to the main road, I then got my phone out and consulted my friend Google and worked out a new route to Countesthorpe, that route took me up a short section of the main road then right into the lanes round Ashby Magna and Willoughby Waterleys, most of which I hadn't ridden before and onto Countesthorpe. Whilst I was drinking coffee in the cafe I consulted Mr Google again and worked out a new route that avoided the main road, riding it wasn't nice. When I left I used my regular route home till I got to Peatling Pava, I then turned right and worked my way across to Broughton Astley where I turned onto a regular route home through Frolesworth, Claybrooke Magna and Monks Kirby. A lovely morning out on my bike, bright and sunny with light winds, it was a bit nippy first thing, I was in summer tights and a long sleeve summer jersey, when I left the cafe it had warmed up nicely and I could have done with just shorts and a short sleeved top, An enjoyable morning out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Countesthorpe the destination, 60 miles the journey. An interesting mornings cycling, It started out as a routine Monday ride, but when I came to cross the A426 and ride into Gilmorton the road was closed, rode down almost into the village but found the rest of the road sealed off, theres a new estate there and I did think of riding through the new estate they're building but parts of it are still a building site and I didn't fancy that, so I rode back to the main road, I then got my phone out and consulted my friend Google and worked out a new route to Countesthorpe, that route took me up a short section of the main road then right into the lanes round Ashby Magna and Willoughby Waterleys, most of which I hadn't ridden before and onto Countesthorpe. Whilst I was drinking coffee in the cafe I consulted Mr Google again and worked out a new route that avoided the main road, riding it wasn't nice. When I left I used my regular route home till I got to Peatling Pava, I then turned right and worked my way across to Broughton Astley where I turned onto a regular route home through Frolesworth, Claybrooke Magna and Monks Kirby. A lovely morning out on my bike, bright and sunny with light winds, it was a bit nippy first thing, I was in summer tights and a long sleeve summer jersey, when I left the cafe it had warmed up nicely and I could have done with just shorts and a short sleeved top, An enjoyable morning out.

Some lovely village names there Dave 👍

D

Deleted member 1258

I know, some of those villages are pretty with thatched cottages

Last edited by a moderator:

12boy

Guru
The smoke from fires as much as 1500 miles away has finally abated and I will definitely go for a ride this morning. Still a tad hazy but so much better. Leaves are turning and I hope they fall before the next snowfall so we don't repeat the broken tree limbs from 2 weeks ago. I will be getting bids from arborists to either trim or remove the giant unhealthy cottonwood in the back yard that threatens the house with branch damage. Still have tomatoes, lettuce, squash, cukes and a bushel or so of carrots in the garden and once they're done I can begin preparing it for the spring. Been thinking about making a 25x12 hoop house in the spring so as to be able to begin planting stuff in March. That way the inevitable cycle of nice days and heavy snows won't delay planting until late May. Had a great visit from eldest son over the weekend who dug some carrots and made pear-applesauce and raspberry jam with his Mom which made her very happy. Mrs 12, our sons and their wives are definite foodies and I, of course, benefit from this interest.

Dave7

Legendary Member
While they were trying to get to the source of my problems they initially suspected gastrointestinal problems so booked me in for a Colonoscopy followed by a Gastroscopy ( might have been the other way round) I thought to myself " I hope they rinse it off before poking it down my throat :laugh:)
I did have a sedative before the procedures and was pretty much on cloud 9 not having eaten for over 48 hours.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sh*t sh*t and double sh*t !!!!!
Friends of ours have a nephew** that went for a night out on Saturday.
Got in an argument and swung a punch. Missed the guy he was trying to hit......hit the guy behind him AND killed him stone dead.
How your life can hinge on one moment.
So many people's lives destroyed in 2 seconds...... very very sad for all involved.
**nephew has a 2 year old child :sad:

Last edited:
I love the way that history and geography come together in place names, and the way that languages from different peoples from different times get combined into a single name that lives on to this day. I guess the English Midlands have a particularly rich tapestry due to the British, the Saxons, the Danish and the Normans all leaving their mark.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sh*t sh*t and double sh*t !!!!!
Friends of ours have a nephew** that went for a night out on Saturday.
Got in an argument and swung a punch. Missed the guy he was trying to hit......hit the guy behind him AND killed him stone dead.
How your life can hinge on one moment.
So many people's lives destroyed in 2 seconds...... very very sad for all involved.
**nephew has a 2 year old child :sad:

Good grief. What a terrible thing to have happen to everyone involved.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Now I feel really stupid. Or paranoid... :whistle:

Either those of you who HAVE had a flu jab recently have been sitting back and enjoying me wimping on about needles, or some kind of joke is being played on me - Candid Camera-styleee! :wacko:

I did as I was told and arrived at Tod health centre exactly on time. (I walked laps around the car park until 30 seconds before the appointment.) Corona virus protocol dictates that the doors are locked and patients have to ring a bell to summon somebody to let them in. A receptionist arrived within seconds of me ringing. She checked my name on a list and told me to go and wait in a chair at the end of the waiting room. I had been sitting for less than 5 seconds when a nurse called my name from down the corridor so I jumped up and saw her motioning me into a side room. After walking in I glanced around nervously, searching for a HUGE BOX holding the MASSIVE SYRINGES with their VAST NEEDLES. I was looking at a box on the desk across the room when she asked me to confirm my name and d.o.b. "ColinJ" and "When dinosaurs still roamed the earth..."

"Would you like me to do the left arm or the right?"

"Like? LIKE! I'd like to never have VAST NEEDLES stuck into me, ta very much. Oh, very well, right arm I suppose..."

She was holding a small object about the size of a postage stamp, but I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't focus on it. Anyway, she pulled my sleeve up to check that there was enough flesh there to take the full length of the VAST NEEDLE, when it was finally brought out of its box. She wiped my arm with the postage stamp-sized swab. It must have held some kind of alcohol gel to clean the spot where she was going to stab me...

"Right - off you go then..."

What did she mean? Off I go to the chair in the corner of the room while she fished out the instrument of torture?

"Off I go?"

She grinned... "Go and do whatever it is that you have planned for the rest of the afternoon!"

"Er, aren't you going to give me the flu jab then?"

"I just DID!"

"YOU - CANNOT - BE - SERIOUS!!! The last time I was vaccinated it was a huge needle, and hurt like hell! Mind you, that was over half a century ago, so I guess that technology has improved since then!"

I actually find it hard to believe that I had the 'jab'. It didn't even feel as painful as having a butterfly land on one's arm.

I'm waiting to see the video on YouTube - "Todmorden Health Centre pranks Volume 2" in which hapless idiots are fooled into thinking that they have been vaccinated, using a postage stamp! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Now I feel really stupid. Or paranoid... :whistle:

Either those of you who HAVE had a flu jab recently have been sitting back and enjoying me wimping on about needles, or some kind of joke is being played on me - Candid Camera-styleee! :wacko:

I did as I was told and arrived at Tod health centre exactly on time. (I walked laps around the car park until 30 seconds before the appointment.) Corona virus protocol dictates that the doors are locked and patients have to ring a bell to summon somebody to let them in. A receptionist arrived within seconds of me ringing. She checked my name on a list and told me to go and wait in a chair at the end of the waiting room. I had been sitting for less than 5 seconds when a nurse called my name from down the corridor so I jumped up and saw her motioning me into a side room. After walking in I glanced around nervously, searching for a HUGE BOX holding the MASSIVE SYRINGES with their VAST NEEDLES. I was looking at a box on the desk across the room when she asked me to confirm my name and d.o.b. "ColinJ" and "When dinosaurs still roamed the earth..."

"Would you like me to do the left arm or the right?"

"Like? LIKE! I'd like to never have VAST NEEDLES stuck into me, ta very much. Oh, very well, right arm I suppose..."

She was holding a small object about the size of a postage stamp, but I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't focus on it. Anyway, she pulled my sleeve up to check that there was enough flesh there to take the full length of the VAST NEEDLE, when it was finally brought out of its box. She wiped my arm with the postage stamp-sized swab. It must have held some kind of alcohol gel to clean the spot where she was going to stab me...

"Right - off you go then..."

What did she mean? Off I go to the chair in the corner of the room while she fished out the instrument of torture?

"Off I go?"

She grinned... "Go and do whatever it is that you have planned for the rest of the afternoon!"

"Er, aren't you going to give me the flu jab then?"

"I just DID!"

"YOU - CANNOT - BE - SERIOUS!!! The last time I was vaccinated it was a huge needle, and hurt like hell! Mind you, that was over half a century ago, so I guess that technology has improved since then!"

I actually find it hard to believe that I had the 'jab'. It didn't even feel as painful as having a butterfly land on one's arm.

I'm waiting to see the video on YouTube - "Todmorden Health Centre pranks Volume 2" in which hapless idiots are fooled into thinking that they have been vaccinated, using a postage stamp! :laugh:
You'd have been happier if she had used one of her syringe collection then.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've actually decided not to have a flu jab this year.
As Covid19 is supposedly much worse than the usual flu, and the current precautions we are taking are meant to prevent us getting it, then the reasonable assumption to be made is that your chances of getting normal flu are vastly reduced compared to a usual year.
Saves me the hassle and saves the NHS time and money.
Win/win. :okay:

ColinJ

You'd have been happier if she had used one of her syringe collection then.
Not exactly... :laugh:

I felt high as a kite when I walked out. I had been expecting an unpleasant experience and just had a bit of a laugh.

It made me think that if an effective corona virus vaccine is eventually found and they can use similar vaccination techniques, vaccinating billions of people might actually be viable. I had been thinking that it would take (say) 30-60 seconds per person but I could seem them doing one every 5 seconds if the people in each queue have their arms bared ready.

ColinJ

Hmm... I've been doing some research!

It seems that there is a flu vaccine for intradermal use. It is injected using a tiny needle, just under the skin.

The normal vaccine is for intramuscular use and that does require a much bigger needle.

The catch is that intradermal injections should only be used for those aged 18-64. I am 65 next birthday, so it looks like it WILL be VAST NEEDLE time in 2021! :sad:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hmm... I've been doing some research!

It seems that there is a flu vaccine for intradermal use. It is injected using a tiny needle, just under the skin.

The normal vaccine is for intramuscular use and that does require a much bigger needle.

The catch is that intradermal injections should only be used for those aged 18-64. I am 65 next birthday, so it looks like it WILL be VAST NEEDLE time in 2021! :sad:

A case of "ignorance is bliss" perhaps?

Now you have a whole 12 months to stew about it ;)

Top Bottom