The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Learned 2 new terms today...brum brum and and sun trap.
Just to add that ‘brum’ singular refers to the city of Birmingham. Its indigenous peoples are called brummies.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just been around to fit a new tap for my brother, no matter how heavy a hint I dropped a call out fee was not mentioned. Odd when we were skint and homeless he did nothing to help us yet I feel it my duty to help him, he is 23 years older than myself.

I think it may be slightly different if a relative is obtaining a regular service, which is the main income of another relative eg say, having your car serviced by a relative whose business is car repair, but, other than that scenario, in general I would not expect a relation to pay me for services rendered.

I have a BiL, who requires assistance of various types eg decorating, shopping, technical items, like mobile phone, smart TV.

I have done a reasonable amount for the past 15 years, eg online food shopping, sorting out his bills, sourcing and tuning TV etc etc, another BiL used to decorate for him (for, except for cost of materials).

Recently, it has become apparent that the "decorating" BiL is too elderly to continue.

Another family member offered to do the work for a fee.

I stepped in and did it myself, for free.

Did not go down well in certain circles of the family.

But, as always, each to their own.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think it may be slightly different if a relative is obtaining a regular service, which is the main income of another relative eg say, having your car serviced by a relative whose business is car repair, but, other than that scenario, in general I would not expect a relation to pay me for services rendered.

I have a BiL, who requires assistance of various types eg decorating, shopping, technical items, like mobile phone, smart TV.

I have done a reasonable amount for the past 15 years, eg online food shopping, sorting out his bills, sourcing and tuning TV etc etc, another BiL used to decorate for him (for, except for cost of materials).

Recently, it has become apparent that the "decorating" BiL is too elderly to continue.

Another family member offered to do the work for a fee.

I stepped in and did it myself, for free.

Did not go down well in certain circles of the family.

But, as always, each to their own.

It was supposed to be a bit of humour, mind you the latter bit about him doing nothing is true. As you say each to thier own and I prefer to give in most cases, which is one reason I have just had to stock up again on inner tubes.

screenman

Legendary Member
I had an email from NS&I to say that the interest rate on their accounts are going to be slashed to be in line with the banks rates, so from 24th November the interest in their income bonds will be 0.01% just like the bank.

Does that mean you will only be getting £10,000 per annum interest on your saving?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Although the numbers infected has gone up by a lot, thankfully the numbers of deaths hasn't risen accordingly.
Yet... It is currently mainly young people catching it, but as the numbers go up then it is almost inevitable to spread to older folk with a corresponding rise in mortality. And don't forget, there is a 2-3 week lag because those who die tend to suffer for weeks first. :sad:

Top Bottom