The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I went to bed last night the temperature was 0C and cars were covered in frost. Got up at 7 o'clock and temp now 6C. Short sharp frost and seems to be forecast like that several days this coming week. Dry with no wind but overcast and probably like that the rest of the day.
Gardening calls as did none of it yesterday. I have a near neighbour who seems to be fanatical and is out in the front garden every day pulling up weeds, pruning and generally shifting things around. She even started on another neighbour's garden next to hers and got rid of any weeds just over the fence. Need to try getting her over on my side as my front garden needs attention but I cannot be bothered just now.
Bleeding flytippers.
Why do people assume that the land on the other side of the fence is wasteland, owned by no-one.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is a danger of turning this into my reminiscences page. In another post I mentioned my old drinking buddy the Rear Admiral. He had lots of scurrilous tales of navy life.
After the wedding of the present queen there was to be a honeymoon cruise and for some reason a warship was chosen for this. It was kitted out with the very best of food and drink for 6 months and my buddy was an officer on board. Unfortunately the king died and the cruise was cancelled. This left the navy with a problem as to what to do so the ship was sent on an extended cruise and told not to come back until the food and drink was finished. They had a great time he said cruising around wherever they fancied and if one port got boring they just moved on somewhere else preferably nice and warm. Sounds plausible.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good afternoon one and all.
Wandered down to the country park with Mrs Tenkay, ran the 5K parkrun route and then wandered back.
Mrs Tenkay is on a forum with a daily photo challenge where each morning five objects are named. One of today’s items was Holly, there’s loads around and lots of berries this year.
I’m noticing more lights and Christmas trees , I know it’s early and I usually have a Mutter and grumble, but this year I can understand it as a sort of “cocking a snook” to the crappy year we’ve experienced so far.

Back from a walk, cold and grey.
7588E723-CDBE-42A1-9666-52F9FC6AF5F6.jpeg

B188C82D-3AED-4802-8355-54F23F4C3D6B.jpeg

12boy

Guru
-9C at the moment, 8am,but it will get to 4C by 2pm. Very little wind so I will be off on a ride by 10. Another good day for my SS bike. I am finding my windy winter rides are a lot more work and slower than the same rides in shorts and a t-shirt. Other treats include loading up the truck for the last trip to the balefill compost operation and maybe replacing the light socket and/or switch for the range hood. Maybe Mrs 12 will feel up to a dog walk this afternoon. The dog doesn't get a choice as she needs to maintain her mobility in spite of her arthritis. Much like some of us.
Congrats on your 40 PaulSB, and I hope you enjoy many more. It will be 44 for us in July....where does the time go?
Be careful, safe and content.

D

Deleted member 1258

We've been for a walk in the park this afternoon, I cleaned the car this morning, now the boot needs cleaning again, I spent ten minutes cleaning the wheels on the wheelchair when we got back to the car but it still made a mess in the boot. With not being able to get out yesterday I started tidying up the paintwork in the kitchen, I started this morning by painting the skirting boards, I've got a window frame to sand down next.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I took Molly for a walk last night, it was dark and I had trainers on. I came to this poorly lit footpath, slipped on some wet mud on the pavement and ended up flat on my back. Luckily nothing broken but I had to finish the walk with very wet, muddy bottom on my trousers. :rolleyes:
I took Molly to the beach instead this afternoon where she had a good run chasing the ball and a dip in the sea.

12boy

Guru
Gavroche, I sympathise . It's not nice to meet people with a runny brown patch on the back of your britches.....or so I've
been told. Only went 17 miles earlier but though it was a couple of degrees above freezing, it was sunny, the air was pristine and there was no wind. What a gift! This retirement thing ain't too bad.

Top Bottom