The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Have they mentioned the erosion, increasing speed yearly?
No erosion there - built on rock.

D

Deleted member 1258

I managed to get out for a bimble, a slow and lumpy 48 miles, rode over to Twycross then meandered back through Congerstone Barton In The Beans, Market Bosworth, Shenton and Witherley, an interesting last hour riding back in the dark, its been a while since I did that. At times on the way back my fixed wasn't in stealth mode as it usually is, I recon the pedal bearings need some oil. It was a bit slow and hard but it was a nice afternoon on the bike, a bit chilly but most of it in bright sunshine

Dave7

Legendary Member
Seems a lot but that was with an aluminium tank. A steel tank I need less obviously. On shore dives I had to crawl up until I could get the belt off before standing up unless there were handy rocks to lean on.
And me. I would sometimes drop my weights, walk up and remove the tank, then go back for the weights.
Ohhh the joys of shore diving ^_^
I also used to struggle getting my fins ON in the shallow........you lift a leg up and a wave would promptly knock you over.
We must swap some stories.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dirk do you recall that program re walking in Devon........old railways etc.
What was it called ??
I forgot to record it and can't recall the title.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Light bulbs. Hmmmmm 🤔 is this the biggest feckin' con that's been pulled on the public in decades? It used to be so easy, one fitting and all we had to decide was wattage and pearl or clear!! Simple. I need two light bulbs this evening. Have I got the right size? No. Have I got a large collection of spare bulbs? Yes

Bayonet, large screw, small screw, pins rounded, pins push in. Large bulb, small bulb, pearl, clear, longlife** eco blah, blah, feckin' blah

** What is the point of having a spare longlife (8 years) bulb?? I'll have lost, broken it, thrown it out, binned the light fitting or be dead by the time I need it!!!!?

Grrrrrrrrr..............thanks for listening.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
And me. I would sometimes drop my weights, walk up and remove the tank, then go back for the weights.
Ohhh the joys of shore diving ^_^
I also used to struggle getting my fins ON in the shallow........you lift a leg up and a wave would promptly knock you over.
We must swap some stories.
For shore dives I sat down at waters edge and put the fins on then roll over and crawl backwards. It did not take much to get afloat. We also had a bucket of water handy so if there was somebody there for support it could be done standing up.
We were once asked to search for a lost anchor by a mad Irishman {also a commercial diver} who at that time skippered a puffer. This was in Tobermory Bay and in about 15 metres. The puffer deck was about 10 ft above water level and I jumped in and never had such a fast descent. I ended up nearly to my knees in silt when I hit bottom.
Our dive master and instructor was involved in the very early days of scuba and some of their exploits then would make your hair curl.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
@Dirk do you recall that program re walking in Devon........old railways etc.
What was it called ??
I forgot to record it and can't recall the title.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Light bulbs. Hmmmmm 🤔 is this the biggest feckin' con that's been pulled on the public in decades? It used to be so easy, one fitting and all we had to decide was wattage and pearl or clear!! Simple. I need two light bulbs this evening. Have I got the right size? No. Have I got a large collection of spare bulbs? Yes

Bayonet, large screw, small screw, pins rounded, pins push in. Large bulb, small bulb, pearl, clear, longlife** eco blah, blah, feckin' blah

** What is the point of having a spare longlife (8 years) bulb?? I'll have lost, broken it, thrown it out, binned the light fitting or be dead by the time I need it!!!!?

Grrrrrrrrr..............thanks for listening.
Yes....... we have a cupboard full of them. Wall lights/outside lights.......all with their own $#@*^ fittings.
AND BATTERIES .....We have a draw full of them and still run out of the one we really need.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our dive master and instructor was involved in the very early days of scuba and some of their exploits then would make your hair curl.
As would the activities shown on Gold Divers... In last night's episode, our hero was supposedly diving without any surface crew***. Given that the air was being pumped from the boat and his diving suit was being heated by water pumped from it too, and that it was many kms away from help, on a sea prone to sudden changes of weather... it wasn't exactly sensible!

The water heater developed a fault, fortunately one which blew the hose off, since (as the diver pointed out back on the surface after feeling that he was getting cold), the alternative would have involved steam being blasted into his diving suit and cooking him!

*** Of course, there was actually a film production crew up there, and divers in the water filming him! I suspect that he spoke to them on the intercom to ask what was up with the hot water, and that they pulled the hose off before he cooked.

In other news... I just read a funny tweet sent to Donald Trump: "Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon - it will knock over all of the pieces, sh*t on the board, and strut about as if it has won anyway"! :laugh:

Top Bottom