The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
These lockdown rules make no sense whatsoever. I can't have anyone in my home or in my garden, but I can meet up with 4 people, from 4 different houses indoors or outdoors .:crazy:

Gyms are open, as are most other places. I can go on holiday anywhere in Wales, but I can't have anyone in my home or garden. What a load of b******s.

Agreed.

The Engineer has just been here to service our CH Boiler (masks all round).

We are in Tier 3 (England). He was having a moan that, under the rules, he cannot visit his holiday cottage, in Northumberland, and stay over night, but, he can, and is, about to fly (with numerous strangers) to Canary Islands for a holiday?

Madness. ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

Agreed.

The Engineer has just been here to service our CH Boiler (masks all round).

We are in Tier 3 (England). He was having a moan that, under the rules, he cannot visit his holiday cottage, in Northumberland, and stay over night, but, he can, and is, about to fly (with numerous strangers) to Canary Islands for a holiday?

Madness. ;)

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Keep it. If they can’t find a reliable vaccine for the common cold which is a coronavirus in tens of years, they ain’t sticking something in me that’s been produced in months! :laugh:
I'm not sure if you're entirely serious about this. I've had some similar concerns but I came across a very authoritative article which explains how everything has gone through so quickly. I'm not concerned at all. The article only refers to the Oxford vaccine.

I will try to find it for you but the basics are this. The Oxford team decided years ago to create a basic vaccine which could be the building block of a new vaccine should it ever be needed. This decision was taken after the last Ebola outbreak when there was nothing available.

The basic vaccine is a chimpanzee cold to which it is possible to "bolt on" other necessary bits. Once the Chinese released the DNA structure of Covid-19 Oxford was able identify what needed adding to the basic vaccine. Effectively they had a huge head start.

The practical issues regarding getting a vaccine approved primarily revolve around money, trial volunteers, production and results review.

Funding was not an issue when normally the process can take years of application and rejection. People were falling over themselves to volunteer to be in the trials - usually finding 30000 volunteers takes a long time. The approval bodies agreed to fast track everything and of course we know AstraZeneca took the chance on starting production ahead of approval.

Fundamentally what has happened is everyone got on with it, removed all the usual hurdles such as funding and when coupled with Oxford already having the basic vaccine things could move very fast.

In our age group I doubt there's enough Pfizer for us. I'd expect to be offered Oxford and I've no hesitation in accepting.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Starters......:cheers:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if you're entirely serious about this. I've had some similar concerns but I came across a very authoritative article which explains how everything has gone through so quickly. I'm not concerned at all. The article only refers to the Oxford vaccine.

I will try to find it for you but the basics are this. The Oxford team decided years ago to create a basic vaccine which could be the building block of a new vaccine should it ever be needed. This decision was taken after the last Ebola outbreak when there was nothing available.

The basic vaccine is a chimpanzee cold to which it is possible to "bolt on" other necessary bits. Once the Chinese released the DNA structure of Covid-19 Oxford was able identify what needed adding to the basic vaccine. Effectively they had a huge head start.

The practical issues regarding getting a vaccine approved primarily revolve around money, trial volunteers, production and results review.

Funding was not an issue when normally the process can take years of application and rejection. People were falling over themselves to volunteer to be in the trials - usually finding 30000 volunteers takes a long time. The approval bodies agreed to fast track everything and of course we know AstraZeneca took the chance on starting production ahead of approval.

Fundamentally what has happened is everyone got on with it, removed all the usual hurdles such as funding and when coupled with Oxford already having the basic vaccine things could move very fast.

In our age group I doubt there's enough Pfizer for us. I'd expect to be offered Oxford and I've no hesitation in accepting.
I’ll give it a few years I think. They are already warning the side effects can be so nasty for some that they’re worried they won’t go back for the second dose. I’d rather wait and see if there’s any other side effects going to pop up long term.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I’ll give it a few years I think. They are already warning the side effects can be so nasty for some that they’re worried they won’t go back for the second dose. I’d rather wait and see if there’s any other side effects going to pop up long term.

Well if they offer it to me I'll take it and worry about the side effects later.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If by long term you mean 20 years from now, it won't concern me as it is likely I won't be around then, being 70 now.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Mo if you felt I was trying to tell you to get vaccinated apologies. Just wanted to explain why it's so quick.

Six months ago I was arguing we'd be lucky to see a vaccine in 2021 because these things usually take 10 years.

Top Bottom