The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good afternoon people.

Mrs Tenkay went to the Gym this morning and I took advantage of her absence by wrapping up her Christmas presents and stashing them away. Hopefully in a couple of weeks time I'll be able to remember where I hid them^_^
No Premium Bond winnings this Month, I've purchased some more which will be entering next months draw. the Money was earning 0.1% in my 'Savings" account so I thought it wiser to move the funds across.
It's also my "two pension payments" month which will help with Christmas expenses.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Mo if you felt I was trying to tell you to get vaccinated apologies. Just wanted to explain why it's so quick.

Six months ago I was arguing we'd be lucky to see a vaccine in 2021 because these things usually take 10 years.
Course not. I know what you meant. xx

I just don’t fancy being among the early uptake. Given I live on my own, exercise on my own and no longer have elderly dependents, I will take my chances for a while I think, that’s all.

.....and the rain is now on. A lazy afternoon ahead I think.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@welsh dragon - let's see if I agree with your assessment of the Galaxy Tab A (2019) 10.1...!

My 2012 mk 1 Galaxy Tab 8.9 has served me well, but it is well past its best. I can't test my games on it, and many other apps won't run on it either.

I got a £30 windfall a few weeks ago when soltydog kindly split the profit with me after selling on something that I had previously sold to him. That money was sitting in my PayPal account just waiting to be spent... :smile:

I had been thinking of bidding on a secondhand tablet but there is always the chance of getting something in poor condition and regretting it. Then I spotted an ex-demo Tab A in 'Class-A' condition going for £134.99. The company stated that the condition is excellent, at worst a few minor scratches on the rear of it. I will be buying a cover for it anyway, so that's no problem. I got another £4.72 back from TopCashBack so it has effectively only cost me £100 and I'm sure that I will get some money given to me at Christmas to put towards it.

If I can get 5+ years out of this device then I will be very pleased!

Most people are not using tablets these days - they either go up in size to a laptop, or down to a 'phablet' (phone tablet - a big smartphone) but I really like them for web browsing and games.

I will do a special tablet version of my game which currently is optimised for 4.5-6.5 inch phone screens. (It does resize itself to fit the screen but there is a limit to how small things can be before you can't see them properly or click on them with a finger without accidentally straying onto something else!)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@welsh dragon - let's see if I agree with your assessment of the Galaxy Tab A (2019) 10.1...!

My 2012 mk 1 Galaxy Tab 8.9 has served me well, but it is well past its best. I can't test my games on it, and many other apps won't run on it either.

I got a £30 windfall a few weeks ago when soltydog kindly split the profit with me after selling on something that I had previously sold to him. That money was sitting in my PayPal account just waiting to be spent... :smile:

I had been thinking of bidding on a secondhand tablet but there is always the chance of getting something in poor condition and regretting it. Then I spotted an ex-demo Tab A in 'Class-A' condition going for £134.99. The company stated that the condition is excellent, at worst a few minor scratches on the rear of it. I will be buying a cover for it anyway, so that's no problem. I got another £4.72 back from TopCashBack so it has effectively only cost me £100 and I'm sure that I will get some money given to me at Christmas to put towards it.

If I can get 5+ years out of this device then I will be very pleased!

Most people are not using tablets these days - they either go up in size to a laptop, or down to a 'phablet' (phone tablet - a big smartphone) but I really like them for web browsing and games.

I will do a special tablet version of my game which currently is optimised for 4.5-6.5 inch phone screens. (It does resize itself to fit the screen but there is a limit to how small things can be before you can't see them properly or click on them with a finger without accidentally straying onto something else!)

Yep. 5 years would be good. Well tried and tested tablet. Its a mid range one so won't break the bank.

I'm not sure if you're entirely serious about this. I've had some similar concerns but I came across a very authoritative article which explains how everything has gone through so quickly. I'm not concerned at all. The article only refers to the Oxford vaccine.

I will try to find it for you but the basics are this. The Oxford team decided years ago to create a basic vaccine which could be the building block of a new vaccine should it ever be needed. This decision was taken after the last Ebola outbreak when there was nothing available.

The basic vaccine is a chimpanzee cold to which it is possible to "bolt on" other necessary bits. Once the Chinese released the DNA structure of Covid-19 Oxford was able identify what needed adding to the basic vaccine. Effectively they had a huge head start.

The practical issues regarding getting a vaccine approved primarily revolve around money, trial volunteers, production and results review.

Funding was not an issue when normally the process can take years of application and rejection. People were falling over themselves to volunteer to be in the trials - usually finding 30000 volunteers takes a long time. The approval bodies agreed to fast track everything and of course we know AstraZeneca took the chance on starting production ahead of approval.

Fundamentally what has happened is everyone got on with it, removed all the usual hurdles such as funding and when coupled with Oxford already having the basic vaccine things could move very fast.

In our age group I doubt there's enough Pfizer for us. I'd expect to be offered Oxford and I've no hesitation in accepting.
Have you got a link for this - I would like to read more about it
partly to be able to convince people who are doubters

Thanks

12boy

Guru
-14C. At 7 am with wind chillchill of -18. Will get up to -3C with a wind chill of -11. Still, roads are dry and it is sunny and the air is very clean so I might go for a little ride after some yardwork. I am thinking the first to get whatever vaccine is available will be health care workers and I can't grudge them that for sure. I am not clear if the vaccine includes a live virus and if so Mrs 12 isn't getting any per her cancer Doc. I'll be getting bloodwork done in the next week or so which will indicate if my low carb regime is keeping my numbers below diabetic levels. I am up to a portly 68 kg from 67 so I shall see. Being a little hungry in the summer is easier than when it's fairly cold and it hasn't gotten that cold yet. Unfortunately all the food my wife enjoys is not good for me so she can either make stuff just for herself or do without. On the exercise topic a couple of days ago I did a bunch of jumping jacks, burpees and similar which made me much shorter of breath than bike riding usually does. Sadly, I am too malcoordinated to jump rope which is a good exerciseif you are not a clumsy fool. I wanted some aerobic stuff to do when its too cold and icy to enjoy biking and running is too hard on my knees. The next day I was actually sore in spots I wasn't expecting, all from maybe 15 minutes of hopping around.
Still, life is good here in the omphalos of Wyoming, if not the world.
Ten cuidado y sea feliz...

Top Bottom