The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm guessing on the bike. :angel:

Up at 5 here, in work by 6.40, now sitting at this barrier again. Quite nice really - PC with internet, two-hour stints before relief comes, and my supervisor is bringing me a coffee shortly - and he makes good coffee. I've had worse jobs. Block of shifts ends today, then no work until just before Christmas. Time to play with the new bits for the lightweight build.

We don't like foul language on the Retirement Thread, certain words are definitely discouraged. They may be used, occasionally, when making nostalgic references to the days before retirement. ;)

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ours are all BC (bayonet) fittings, so a straight swap. Don't know about ES/SES fittings, but I would imagine the same. LED bulbs run cool (makes sense, they are drawing a lot less power) so no issues with heat. Just make sure you get the equivalent power right - a 7W LED bulb gives the same light as a 40W incandescent (approximate figures, don't rely) - so check the packaging. Get one, you won't regret it!
We replaced our kitchen light with an LED strip light.... not cheap but its amazing.
I had no idea about equivalent power etc being so different.
We have 3 lights in the lounge/diner and its miserable with those crap bulbs.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back from Aldi.
Now, when I went it was dark and raining so visibility not good.
Coming down our close were 2 lads on bike. Head to toe in black clothing. Not one light between them and nothing reflective that I could see.
Obviously on a suicide mission.l

So........not sure what to do about this or if I can do anything. Any ideas???
The auntie was in hospital 6 weeks.
We were told emphatically that we could not visit and could not take clean night clothes in or take the worn stuff away.
She has now been transferred to a respite home and we were asked to collect her worn clothes..... nighties and underwear. It had all been stuffed in a bag and left for 6 weeks !!!
On opening it, everything is green moldy and had to go straight in the bin.
Who can I complain to ???
Do I have a chance of getting anywhere ??

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Back from Aldi.
Now, when I went it was dark and raining so visibility not good.
Coming down our close were 2 lads on bike. Head to toe in black clothing. Not one light between them and nothing reflective that I could see.
Obviously on a suicide mission.l

So........not sure what to do about this or if I can do anything. Any ideas???
The auntie was in hospital 6 weeks.
We were told emphatically that we could not visit and could not take clean night clothes in or take the worn stuff away.
She has now been transferred to a respite home and we were asked to collect her worn clothes..... nighties and underwear. It had all been stuffed in a bag and left for 6 weeks !!!
On opening it, everything is green moldy and had to go straight in the bin.
Who can I complain to ???
Do I have a chance of getting anywhere ??

You could complain to the Hospital Management, as for getting anywhere, I would not hold my breath. Covid has become an excuse for poor service everywhere, NHS is no exception IMHO. ;)

Many years before Covid (in the "Blair Years" actually), I had reason to complain about my late mothers care (I use that term loosely), in our local hospital. They did go through the motions of humouring me, but, no actual result, although, presumably "lessons where learned". ;)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Damp sort of day and outside temp is only 4.9C at the back of my house. Nice moon shining in my kitchen window when I got up and forecast is for colder weather and sleet showers for a couple days.
Calmac latest text is boat is 20 minutes late due a medical emergency. Probably nothing serious if only a short delay.
Miserable £25 from PB this month.
Had to get out early and leave car keys in the ignition as garage is to pick the car up and take it down for new front tyres. Since I had the keys out early they probably won't come until about 5 o'clock.
One local left his keys in overnight and got into a terrible panic when he got up to find his car had vanished. He had forgotten the garage was collecting it early.

classic33

Leg End Member
8892717-a-medical-doctor-or-nurse-in-scrubs-preparing-an-injection-in-a-giant-syringe.jpg

Top Bottom