The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
We’re due torrential rain over the next few days. That will delay the building of the new housing development on the outskirts of Wimborne. I expected them to be building the houses on stilts as the site is so close to the river and has flooded on occasion.

Bakewell Derbyshire.A few years back a row of houses we’re built beside the river Looked an idyllic position until the first named storm arrived Resulted in the properties being flooded

pawl

Legendary Member
Just looked out of the window Something I have not seen in the thirty years I have lived here.A grey squirrel nosing round the bird feeders

D

Deleted member 1258

A few years ago I was cycling along a lane strewn with hedge cuttings , round the next bend was the hedge cutting tractor, stationary with a puncture in one of rear wheels :laugh::wahhey: It made my day.

^_^:laugh: I'm sorry, I'd been laughing as I rode past. Some of the lanes round here can be a nightmare this time of year with the hedge cutting that goes on.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Headed out earlier in a fine drizzle. We wanted to get a walk in before the forecast deluge. The rain cleared and the sun came out so we had a quite pleasant amble. Although the route of our local walks can be a bit "samey", I make a point of trying to see things that I've not noticed before, It can be a bit of an eye opener, the patterns and manufacturers of cast iron drain covers, the detail on Post Boxes etc. There's a Telecoms conduit cover around the corner that bears the legend " Plymouth University" . How it made it's way to a suburb of Poole is a mystery.
Speaking of Post Boxes, It's a one kilometre walk from our house to the parade of shops in Broadstone. There are two postboxes en route, the compact type that are mounted on a sturdy pole. I noticed a few weeks ago that one of them was no longer there and assumed that it was probably superfluous. A few days later there was a sign on the post reporting that the Post Box had been stolen overnight.

classic33

Leg End Member
Headed out earlier in a fine drizzle. We wanted to get a walk in before the forecast deluge. The rain cleared and the sun came out so we had a quite pleasant amble. Although the route of our local walks can be a bit "samey", I make a point of trying to see things that I've not noticed before, It can be a bit of an eye opener, the patterns and manufacturers of cast iron drain covers, the detail on Post Boxes etc. There's a Telecoms conduit cover around the corner that bears the legend " Plymouth University" . How it made it's way to a suburb of Poole is a mystery.
Speaking of Post Boxes, It's a one kilometre walk from our house to the parade of shops in Broadstone. There are two postboxes en route, the compact type that are mounted on a sturdy pole. I noticed a few weeks ago that one of them was no longer there and assumed that it was probably superfluous. A few days later there was a sign on the post reporting that the Post Box had been stolen overnight.
£1,000 upwards for one of those small post boxes, if you want one.
Head to
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...esting-geographs.215788/page-274#post-6209620
for some other things to spot/keep an eye open for.

classic33

Leg End Member
Time to put my battery powered angle grinder on charge...😉
Just make certain it's empty beforehand,
"If any person receives any mail bag, or any postal packet or any chattel or money or valuable security, the stealing, taking, embezzling or secreting of which amounts to a felony under this Act, knowing it to have been so feloniously stolen, taken, embezzled or secreted, and to have been sent, or to have been intended to be sent, by post, he shall be guilty of felony and be liable to the same punishment as if he had himself stolen, taken, embezzled or secreted it, and may be proceeded against and convicted whether the principal offender has or has not been previously convicted or is or is not amenable to justice."

Post Office Act 1953
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/36/crossheading/general-offences/enacted

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Same here today, we managed our daily walk, whilst it was just rain lightly, steady downpour now.

We have a small "repertoire" of walks in our local area, which we have been using during the various restrictions. Some years ago, after a TIA, Mrs @BoldonLad suffered from Anxiety, especially when out of the house. One of the therapies suggested (and which worked), was similar to what you suggest, ie, just notice the little points of interest as you walk, slow down and take notice. ;)

Top Bottom