The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Here's one for our friends north of the border...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Here's one for our friends north of the border...

View attachment 570569

I dare you to post this on the Scottish Referendum Thread 😄

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is there only one type?
Haggis is normally made with sheep offal, but originally any animal would have been used. There are many variations, which include combinations of lamb, pork, beef, venison and slightly more unusual offerings, such as rabbit and hare. Haggis has evolved over the years to suit all tastes and lifestyles, so you can now find organic, gluten-free and even vegan haggis.
Reason for my question was I googled it and yes, any type of meat/offal will do, that is it.... it has to be meat/animal of some sort.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had a similar thing at a chippy here. They did 'small' portions of chips and 'regular' portions. The small were actually large, and the regular were huge! I'm not sure if they did children's portions; if they did then a child's portion would probably have been a normal adult size. If you actually wanted a child-size portion then the best bet would have been to buy yourself a 'small' and give the child 1/3 of that! :laugh:

In terms of value, excellent! In terms of the national obesity crisis, not so clever... :whistle:
After I had paid (7 quid:eek:) he said.......you could have asked for a child's portion. Yeah right......after you've got my money.
TBF the fish was beautiful as were the peas. Chips were not so good.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hang on. I'm totally confused now, oldwheels says haggis are native creature so how can there be a vegetarian variety, are you telling me you can grown them in your garden now? Do they grow above ground or are they root haggis, do you need a greenhouse to grow one? HELP!!!!

Pinched from another forum, the heartening tale of a baby haggis found abandoned and taken to a refuge...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I had just settled down with a brew ready to join you all when ........ping!!

"We need to check some transactions on your account. Do you recognise £0.22 at 15.59. Text Y for Yes and N for No" :ohmy::ohmy:

I texted N. 30 minutes later I have the dregs of a lukewarm cuppa to enjoy. Must say the bank security is very impressive. Santander.

Had a nice walk in beautiful sunshine, quite warm. Cottage pie for us tonight made from yesterday's left over lamb 🐑

What else has happened? 🤔🤔🤔

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hang on. I'm totally confused now, oldwheels says haggis are native creature so how can there be a vegetarian variety, are you telling me you can grown them in your garden now? Do they grow above ground or are they root haggis, do you need a greenhouse to grow one? HELP!!!!
Well it's a bit like salmon. There's your wild salmon and your farmed salmon. Much the same with the haggis. The natural wild beast, a touch ferocious, really quite bad tempered and runs very fast.....well limps very fast due to the different leg lengths......and can deliver a VERY nasty, some would say savage, bite. Don't be fooled by the little fluffy ball butter wouldn't melt in its mouth appearance.

Then you have the domesticated sort. Over the years it's been possible to breed an altogether more docile creature, a hybrid between the wild haggis and domesticated neep. Through careful selection and only keeping the ones with roots it's now possible to grow your own haggis on the allotment. The downside to the breeding process is the haggis has lost its carnivorous inclination and the domesticated form is entirely vegan.

NEVER put one in the greenhouse as this will cause them to bolt.........haggis prefer the open air.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had just settled down with a brew ready to join you all when ........ping!!

"We need to check some transactions on your account. Do you recognise £0.22 at 15.59. Text Y for Yes and N for No" :ohmy::ohmy:

I texted N. 30 minutes later I have the dregs of a lukewarm cuppa to enjoy. Must say the bank security is very impressive. Santander.

Had a nice walk in beautiful sunshine, quite warm. Cottage pie for us tonight made from yesterday's left over lamb 🐑

What else has happened? 🤔🤔🤔
Sounds nice.
A tad pedantic but to my (very limited knowledge)...........
Cottage pie is beef
Shepherds pie is lamb
Feel free to tell me to bog off but I am saving you a visit from CLASSIC :eek:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Well it's a bit like salmon. There's your wild salmon and your farmed salmon. Much the same with the haggis. The natural wild beast, a touch ferocious, really quite bad tempered and runs very fast.....well limps very fast due to the different leg lengths......and can deliver a VERY nasty, some would say savage, bite. Don't be fooled by the little fluffy ball butter wouldn't melt in its mouth appearance.

Then you have the domesticated sort. Over the years it's been possible to breed an altogether more docile creature, a hybrid between the wild haggis and domesticated neep. Through careful selection and only keeping the ones with roots it's now possible to grow your own haggis on the allotment. The downside to the breeding process is the haggis has lost its carnivorous inclination and the domesticated form is entirely vegan.

NEVER put one in the greenhouse as this will cause them to bolt.........haggis prefer the open air.
Thanks for clarifying that, I'm now totally au fait with haggis habitation.

Top Bottom