The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just looking for an opinion from some sensible people

but they weren't around so etc etc (had to be said)

anyway - went out riding this afternoon - mostly along canal paths.
Now - when I come across another cyclist then - assuming there are no other obstacles including walkers, dogs etc and assuming the cyclist(s) are adult - I work on the basis that everyone should move to the left (as this is the UK) and we all pass each other easily if there is enough room.

Today I noticed 2 cyclist coming towards me on a nice wide well laid path - the person in the front was male and moved to his left and we passed easily. So clearly I was now on my left.
The 2nd cyclist was a few yards being the 1st and was in the middle of the path
Then moved to her RIGHT - i.e. directly into my path

I decided to stop rather than swerve right in case she did something else weird - but she just kept coming directly towards we and stopped a couple of yards in front of me.
It was all clear so I started off and moved right to pass her.
As I passed I said "Sorry - most of us keep left"
she replied - "thats OK - I always go to the right"

Now that seemed well weird to me

does everyone else think it is a bit weird???

And - on that subject - I have come across a few people in the last few months who seem to want to keep to their right.
Has anyone else come across this concept??
and is there any actual regulations about it - Highway Code or anything???
We passed on the left of a person coming the opposite way, in days of olde, thus keeping your sword arm ready(Right hand majority). We simply carried it through onto road use.

12boy

Guru
Just looking for an opinion from some sensible people

but they weren't around so etc etc (had to be said)

anyway - went out riding this afternoon - mostly along canal paths.
Now - when I come across another cyclist then - assuming there are no other obstacles including walkers, dogs etc and assuming the cyclist(s) are adult - I work on the basis that everyone should move to the left (as this is the UK) and we all pass each other easily if there is enough room.

Today I noticed 2 cyclist coming towards me on a nice wide well laid path - the person in the front was male and moved to his left and we passed easily. So clearly I was now on my left.
The 2nd cyclist was a few yards being the 1st and was in the middle of the path
Then moved to her RIGHT - i.e. directly into my path

I decided to stop rather than swerve right in case she did something else weird - but she just kept coming directly towards we and stopped a couple of yards in front of me.
It was all clear so I started off and moved right to pass her.
As I passed I said "Sorry - most of us keep left"
she replied - "thats OK - I always go to the right"

Now that seemed well weird to me

does everyone else think it is a bit weird???

And - on that subject - I have come across a few people in the last few months who seem to want to keep to their right.
Has anyone else come across this concept??
and is there any actual regulations about it - Highway Code or anything???

I have noticed that while men might possibly have a tiny touch of hypochondria, women like to talk and listen intently to each other but not to me when I am coming up behind them. I 've also noticed many folks of both genders, when finally hearing"On your left", immediately jump left. My solution is to screech "Behind you" and then go where they ain't. If the person is already on the side, if they wave a finger to let me know they heard me I really appreciate it.

classic33

Leg End Member
What have you got against teddies that you would shove Dragos y fronts in them.
I suppose you feel she should use a pair of bloomers!

Top Bottom