The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Apparently there have been no new deaths in Wales from Covid19 today. :wahhey:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Steps.
As mentioned upthread with regard to "Awesome Mo" and her unsurpassed step count, I ventured out for an amble. A bit further than expected as there was someone on the slope down to the Roman Road so I took an alternative route.
Steps showing on my Garmin on departure was 1150. Distance walked was 13.53KM. Steps on arriving home were 18,200.
I think that works out about 1250 steps per Km.
That gives Mo's weekly distance as about 170 Km, or just over 100 miles.
My height is 5'10" so if Mo is shorter than I am she would take more steps per Km and bring the overall distance down.
Even with a reduced distance, that is still some mileage.:notworthy::notworthy:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Steps.
As mentioned upthread with regard to "Awesome Mo" and her unsurpassed step count, I ventured out for an amble. A bit further than expected as there was someone on the slope down to the Roman Road so I took an alternative route.
Steps showing on my Garmin on departure was 1150. Distance walked was 13.53KM. Steps on arriving home were 18,200.
My height is 5'10" so if Mo is shorter than I am she would take more steps per Km and bring the overall distance down.
My last walk was 3.05 miles with 6753 steps and I'm 6 foot

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Steps.
Garmin Connect gives an approximation of what it thinks your steps are. Not sure how accurate it is.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Garmin Connect gives an approximation of what it thinks your steps are. Not sure how accurate it is.

View attachment 577654
Ouch, see what you mean about your sleep.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very enjoyable steak & red wine pie with a piece of bread and butter for lunch. Sat out in the garden with a couple of bottles of North Coast IPA, watching the world go by.
It almost feels like Spring. :sun:
Enough of that nice weather news! I have been getting regular Devon reports from my sister, and my bubble pal has been getting them from her brother in Exeter. He was sitting out in the sunshine watching other people relaxing and trying to work out whether they were supposed to be doing what they were doing... :whistle:

We have had a lot of cloud, wind, and chilly showers here today. You can see the murk over the distant hills in this photo taken at lunchtime...

The new Aldi seems to be doing okay - not super-busy, but not half-empty either. 'Probably viable', that's how I would describe it!

You can see the tree that they preserved, in its little raised, walled plot. I took a closer look and saw why they had kept it...

I thought that I would be able to zoom in on the plaque, but my phone camera photos are apparently not clear enough. The text on the plaque says that the tree was planted for HM Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee in 1977. Obviously, the Sex Pistols were not consulted! :laugh:

In other news... I have only just discovered that my Hoover (and it actually IS a Hoover) has an air filter. Every time I use the vacuum cleaner my house stinks of mouldy Border Terrier. I don't own such a canine...! My sister does, but she hasn't been up here for a year and a half due to Covid-19. I couldn't figure out why the smell outlived several Hoover bags. Now I know why - a manky, clogged air filter!

Oh, I just checked and the air filter is washable. I will report back after de-dogging it! :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom