The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I think i must protest .All this talk a bought toast and no one has had Marmite on toast:evil::evil::evil:

GM

Legendary Member
G'day y'all... For the first time in over 50 years of having premium bonds I got my first win, grand sum of £25, but the smile it put on my face it could have a £1000. :wahhey:

My tan wall tyres for the Brompton arrived in the post this morning, so that'll be a nice job this afternoon fitting them on and getting it ready for when I can ride it again.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yet another piddly poo day:sad:.
I managed a short walk earlier.....going to the chemist for MrsDs prescription**. Just 1.3 miles but a walk is a walk in this weather.
** Friday morning the Doc said I could collect Friday pm. 6 days later its not ready:wacko:. Chemist said they only got it 17.35 yesterday.

12boy

Guru
-3C this am, will be 23C later and 29C tomorrow. The air is still and the sky is clear.
ColinJ, it is funny how a 14 inch adjustment fore and aft, up or down or a couple of degrees of tilt can make such a difference. If evil gremlins dropped my saddle 1/8 inch I am sure I would notice.
It sure has been weird being phoneless. My wife didn't want me to go for a ride without it in case "something happened". And yet in the last 30 years I've needed a ride maybe 3 times. Of course, there once were payphones. I am on a screen diet now to curb my habit of filling any idle minutes with some usually inane screen crap, this forum of course being an exception to the drivel. I doubt I can resist the lure but I will try.
Be safe and well.

Tenkaykev

Guru
G'day y'all... For the first time in over 50 years of having premium bonds I got my first win, grand sum of £25, but the smile it put on my face it could have a £1000. :wahhey:

My tan wall tyres for the Brompton arrived in the post this morning, so that'll be a nice job this afternoon fitting them on and getting it ready for when I can ride it again.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks!
Are they the Marathon Racer tan wall?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yet another piddly poo day:sad:.
I managed a short walk earlier.....going to the chemist for MrsDs prescription**. Just 1.3 miles but a walk is a walk in this weather.
** Friday morning the Doc said I could collect Friday pm. 6 days later its not ready:wacko:. Chemist said they only got it 17.35 yesterday.

Sorry... this may be my fault.... I was going to do a little tidying in the garden today... four times so far, I have put my gardening gear on (ie, an old fleece and a pair of old shoes), got the spade out of the shed ..... and, the heavens have opened, with hail-stones.....

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Fresh Clovelly crab sandwich for us. :okay:

On the occasions I had eaten it, I really enjoyed crab... but... I have never risked actually buying a whole/fresh one, I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it, which bits may be eaten etc etc,

Having said that, I suppose similar thoughts are true of other foods, one evening, after a few drinks, Mrs @BoldonLad was concerning herself about how we would all cope in the event of a real catastrophe, ie no electricity, no gas, now running water etc etc. My contribution was to point out that it is not worth worrying about, since, we (well I) would starve to death after we had looted, and eaten, all of the food from the nearby ASDA, since, as a product of the supermarket age, I would have no idea how to catch a rabbit (or a fish, chicken, deer, etc), and, even if, by some lucky flook, I succeeded, I would have no idea what to do with it, once caught. ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ, it is funny how a 14 inch adjustment fore and aft, up or down or a couple of degrees of tilt can make such a difference. If evil gremlins dropped my saddle 1/8 inch I am sure I would notice.
I think one would have to be asleep (or dead!) not to notice a 14 inch adjustment... :laugh:

Yes, even a 1/4 inch change makes a difference.

On my best bike I can no longer make any saddle height adjustments because I foolishly allowed my titanium seat post to corrode itself solid into the aluminium frame. Fortunately, it was already near enough at the ideal height. I would have liked to have experimented with minor changes though but now I have to be satisfied with saddle fore-aft, and bar height adjustments. I'm not going to risk trying to free the seat post - I could see me writing off the frame instead!

I went out on a ride on that bike earlier and the difference of a 1 cm bar height increase (and the small rearward bar movement that produced) was very noticeable. I still have 2 x 1 cm spacers above the stem so I think I'll do another couple of rides with the bike as it is now to get used to it, then move another spacer below the stem and see what the bike feels like then. (And maybe try the 3rd spacer below the stem too at a later date.)

The weather was all over the place on my test ride. It felt more like the first week of April than the second week of May. Cold, blustery winds and, alternately, nice sunny spells, followed by heavy, chilly showers. I only did half what I had planned to do, and stayed off the big hills altogether - 17 km with 150 m of ascent as opposed to the 40 km and 600 m of ascent that I had wanted to do.

It's pretty bad to find this room was only at 13 degrees C by 2 pm when I got back - it is May 6th, not April 6th! :wacko: I've had to put my little convector heater on to take the chill off the room and have managed to nudge it up to 18 degrees now.

Weather gods - please let us have a decent summer this time - we really need one after 16 months of this damn pandemic!

Top Bottom