The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Are they the Marathon Racer tan wall?

They are the Schwalbe One, not sure if they're the racers, but they've got a nice sleek tread....

GM

Legendary Member
Yet another piddly poo day:sad:.

That just reminded me of one of last nights zoom quiz questions I set. I asked if anyone knew the words to Heartbeat by Buddy Holly.
Mrs GM thought it was funny after all these years not realising what the words were ...:laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Could never enjoy crab.......just too crabby/fishy for me.
We had crab fishcakes while in Norfolk and they were nice.
I presume you mean crab claws are fishy which I would not agree with. To get the proper taste you discard the "dead men's fingers" and mush the rest in with the claw meat which is probably why the crabcakes tasted better. You need confidence and just go for it. The dead men's fingers I am told are poisonous so I never tried eating those bits.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On the occasions I had eaten it, I really enjoyed crab... but... I have never risked actually buying a whole/fresh one, I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it, which bits may be eaten etc etc,

Having said that, I suppose similar thoughts are true of other foods, one evening, after a few drinks, Mrs @BoldonLad was concerning herself about how we would all cope in the event of a real catastrophe, ie no electricity, no gas, now running water etc etc. My contribution was to point out that it is not worth worrying about, since, we (well I) would starve to death after we had looted, and eaten, all of the food from the nearby ASDA, since, as a product of the supermarket age, I would have no idea how to catch a rabbit (or a fish, chicken, deer, etc), and, even if, by some lucky flook, I succeeded, I would have no idea what to do with it, once caught. ;)
On your criteria I reckon I could survive pretty well. I only catch things I intend to eat and in the seafood line there is not much I have not tried. I was catching, gutting ,skinning and eating rabbits before I reached my teens. Mushrooms I am a bit wary of as all mushrooms are edible but some are edible only once.
I was once invited to suggest a book I would like as a school prize. My choice was " The Poachers Handbook" which I still have. To the teachers credit they did get it for me.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don't usually get scam emails but I just got a suspect couple from the same person.
"She" referred to something I had allegedly written about life at Pilmuir House in East Lothian and having enjoyed this wanted to make further contact regarding this subject. I may have at some time made reference to Pilmuir but certainly not recently.
I certainly never click on any links and deleted the emails immediately.
I presume that unless I do more than note the content of the original I should still be safe enough.
Any comments from the experts are welcome.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't usually get scam emails but I just got a suspect couple from the same person.
"She" referred to something I had allegedly written about life at Pilmuir House in East Lothian and having enjoyed this wanted to make further contact regarding this subject. I may have at some time made reference to Pilmuir but certainly not recently.
I certainly never click on any links and deleted the emails immediately.
I presume that unless I do more than note the content of the original I should still be safe enough.
Any comments from the experts are welcome.
It is my understanding that if you just read it but do not open a link you are fine.
I got a very official looking one this morning to tell me my payment to ee had failed so I had to follow the instructions in the link.
Yeah ...right.
Sadly some people do

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Clovelly is only 7 miles from where my daughter lives .
It's only about that far across the bay from me. ;)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is my understanding that if you just read it but do not open a link you are fine.
I got a very official looking one this morning to tell me my payment to ee had failed so I had to follow the instructions in the link.
Yeah ...right.
Sadly some people do
That is my understanding as well but just like to have other's opinions just in case.
I sometimes get one telling me I have won money in a lottery which I have never taken part in.:laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I sometimes get one telling me I have won money in a lottery which I have never taken part in.
Many years ago I got a phone call from my girlfriend excitingly telling me that she had won a fortune on the Spanish National Lottery. I told her that she had NOT. Oh yes, she HAD, she had received an official winner's email...

So I asked, okay then...
  • How did she win a lottery that she had never bought a ticket for?
  • Why did they need her to pay a 'bank transfer fee' of £500 in order to 'release the prize money'?
  • Why did the email show a picture of someone getting a prize on the UK lottery several years previously?
  • Oh, and how much of a coincidence was it that I too had won a fortune of the Spanish National Lottery despite never buying a ticket, and owed them £500 for the bank transfer...?
:laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Many years ago I got a phone call from my girlfriend excitingly telling me that she had won a fortune on the Spanish National Lottery. I told her that she had NOT. Oh yes, she HAD, she had received an official winner's email...

So I asked, okay then...
  • Why did they need her to pay a 'bank transfer fee' of £500 in order to 'release the prize money'?
  • Why did the email show a picture of someone getting a prize on the UK lottery several years previously?
  • Oh, and how much of a coincidence was it that I too had won a fortune of the Spanish National Lottery despite never buying a ticket, and owed them £500 for the bank transfer...?
And did she share the prize money with you :wacko:

D

Deleted member 1258

So I asked, okay then...

Many years ago, when I was using a windows PC, I've been on Linux for a long time now, I lost count of how often I won the Nigerian lottery, I won it many times but never entered it. ^_^

Top Bottom