The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I see we have hours of election guff on tv today. They have even moved The Repair Shop and Pointless to BBC 2.......the cheek! :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Any word on your neighbour who had the stroke? Hope she makes a good recovery. No indications that it could have had anything to do with the Covid jab?
Apparently she is back home now.... maybe/hopefully it turned out not be a stroke ??
The ambulance was outside for ages before they "took her away" (I hate that phrase) so I assume they must have been convinced.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Sorry, but stupid is as stupid does. A person's greed outweighs they're common sense and sometimes. They do get what they deserve.
With your understanding nature, have you considered being a Samaritans volunteer. :rolleyes:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Replying to myself as i didn't actually answer the question asked " What do I think of it?"

I think it is an excellent E reader. It feels a bit strange but that is because I've been using a Kindle for so many years, and my current one which is a Kindle Voyage for about three years. The Kobo is larger and doesn't slip in to the pocket in the same way but it's not unwieldy. I like the larger screen. It has the same controls as the kindle, just not in the same places. The ability to borrow library books and download books from a variety of sources is the "Killer"feature.
There wasn't a mark on the refurb unit that I got, it looks as good as new. It came from the W.H.Smith outlet store on Ebay, and has 30 day no questions returns.

An update to my experience with the Kobo so far.
I'm very impressed, although it is initially not as intuitive as my Kindle, it is excellent for borrowing E books from the library or other online resources.
There's more goodness that I have since discovered. If i go in to the "Settings" menu then select "More" then there is a menu for "Beta Features" among the options are a Web Browser ( which I expect to be painfully slow due to the refresh rate of E Ink) , " Large Print Mode" which makes the typeface bigger than the largest size offered in the standard menu, "sketch Pad" which allows you to draw on screen and save the drawing in your Library, Sudoku, Solitaire, and a "Word Scramble game"
One thing that I have enabled is a feature called "Pocket" this is an App that is available for Android and IOS, plus as an extension for most of the major browsers. I've installed the extension in my Browser ( Brave ).
When I visit a website and find an interesting article I just click on the " Pocket" icon in the browser bar and the article is saved and appears automatically in my Kobo library next time I sync.
Very pleased to discover all of these extra goodies that I wasn't aware of when I purchased the Kobo.

Top Bottom