The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
This afternoon will be band practice in a sunny (hopefully!) garden, featuring the incompetent bass ramblings of yours truly.

That should be a nice treat for the neighbours :smile: it's a ukulele band if my memory serves me correctly? I try to get half an hours practice on the ukulele every day, but I'm not confident enough to practice in the garden though! I follow the UOoGB on FB, great band saw them a couple of years ago in Dartford.
Enjoy!

Tenkaykev

Guru
That should be a nice treat for the neighbours :smile: it's a ukulele band if my memory serves me correctly? I try to get half an hours practice on the ukulele every day, but I'm not confident enough to practice in the garden though! I follow the UOoGB on FB, great band saw them a couple of years ago in Dartford.
Enjoy!
There's a local Ukelele band that plays at various Pub's Beer Festivals etc, they call themselves the "MotherUkers", a great choice of name 😁

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
An update to my experience with the Kobo so far.
I'm very impressed, although it is initially not as intuitive as my Kindle, it is excellent for borrowing E books from the library or other online resources.
There's more goodness that I have since discovered. If i go in to the "Settings" menu then select "More" then there is a menu for "Beta Features" among the options are a Web Browser ( which I expect to be painfully slow due to the refresh rate of E Ink) , " Large Print Mode" which makes the typeface bigger than the largest size offered in the standard menu, "sketch Pad" which allows you to draw on screen and save the drawing in your Library, Sudoku, Solitaire, and a "Word Scramble game"
One thing that I have enabled is a feature called "Pocket" this is an App that is available for Android and IOS, plus as an extension for most of the major browsers. I've installed the extension in my Browser ( Brave ).
When I visit a website and find an interesting article I just click on the " Pocket" icon in the browser bar and the article is saved and appears automatically in my Kobo library next time I sync.
Very pleased to discover all of these extra goodies that I wasn't aware of when I purchased the Kobo.

Pleased you are enjoying it. I am waiting (im)patiently for mine to arrive ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

I got a little bimble in this morning, 24 miles, a bright sunny morning with bitter cold stiff breeze, I rode an extended version of my Birchley Heath loop, when I got to the junction of the Birchley Heath road and the Nuneaton road I turned right instead of left, rode past Hoar Park then turned left onto the Tamworth road then rode through Fillongley and into Coventry, Down The Scotchhill, Burnaby road and turned up Holbrook Lane and home.It was hard work for most of the ride, I was keeping up with traffic on Burnaby road, but an enjoyable ride in the sun.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/66792830

Enjoy!
This particular band is 2 singers, 2 acoustic guitarists, and me.

I am still in a uke band, but we are waiting for pubs to open indoors before we get together. I am still playing with 2 uke clubs via Zoom.

Uke Orchestra of GB will be playing at our local folk festival this summer. Tickets already gone........

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Nice on the beach this morning.
Doggie enjoyed herself, sleeping for England now after demolishing her chip shop sausage.
Nipped into Barny, dropping in to my local brewery on the way and picking up a case of IPA.:cheers:
Fish and chips from the Pilton Fryer - one portion split between us. :hungry:

Devon heaven!

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The noise my washing machine is making hasn't improved. :laugh:

I fear it might be time to buy a new one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The noise my washing machine is making hasn't improved. :laugh:

I fear it might be time to buy a new one.
I've been hearing an intermittent humming/rumbling noise in my house recently. I had thought it might have been my combi-boiler pump becoming noisy but the CH was turned off a few weeks ago, yet the noise continues. I was just standing below the boiler when the noise started up again and confirmed that it definitely has nothing to do with the boiler. In fact, it didn't really sound like it was coming from within this house.

The frequency of the rumble never goes up the way it would if a washing machine went into its spin cycle, but I have noticed that the noise stops then restarts. I reckon that the neighbours must have fitted a wall-mounted tumble dryer. The stops and restarts would be the dryer reversing its direction of rotation, the way that the machines do to reduce creasing and improve drying.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I've been hearing an intermittent humming/rumbling noise in my house recently. I had thought it might have been my combi-boiler pump becoming noisy but the CH was turned off a few weeks ago, yet the noise continues. I was just standing below the boiler when the noise started up again and confirmed that it definitely has nothing to do with the boiler. In fact, it didn't really sound like it was coming from within this house.

The frequency of the rumble never goes up the way it would if a washing machine went into its spin cycle, but I have noticed that the noise stops then restarts. I reckon that the neighbours must have fitted a wall-mounted tumble dryer. The stops and restarts would be the dryer reversing its direction of rotation, the way that the machines do to reduce creasing and improve drying.

Bits of plastic are now In my washing. Def time to get a new one

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just been watching old B/W films of various towns in France from 1895 to 1897 on YouTube. I find it fascinating but also depressing at the same time to think that all those people have led their own lives and are now all dead.
Time is relentless and stops for no one. Out of my 70 years on this earth, I can only remember brief periods of every decades and the old question of " Why we are here ? " will remain a mystery.
I would love to be able to travel back in time and see my ancestors, what they were doing , their life style and various important moments in history.
There is a theory that says that every thing has an end, including the universe. When that happens, it will start all over again and everything will be re-enacted exactly as now so we will all relive our own lives without being aware of it, and all this for ever over millions and millions of years.
I am not sure if I like this theory though as I don't really want to relive my own life although I must say I have had an easy time with no real hardship.
Enough of this now and time for a coffee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom