The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It simply means all is well with us.
After living in the UK for 50 years, I am very familiar with colloquial English but it still annoys me when simple expressions are distorted and become the norm. I also dislike the way the English language is more and more Americanised and every body seem to accept it ,and that's for spelling as well as speaking.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
After living in the UK for 50 years, I am very familiar with colloquial English but it still annoys me when simple expressions are distorted and become the norm. I also dislike the way the English language is more and more Americanised and every body seem to accept it ,and that's for spelling as well as speaking.
Language evolves.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Forgive me for being peckish but what exactly does that mean? You are good at doing what ? You are good because you are a good person ?
When asked " How are you? " It seems to be the norm these days to reply " I am good" . Rubbish, this is meaningless by itself, you should reply " I am well, thank you" and this is what I say when asked. Doesn't anyone speak proper English anymore or just foreigners like me?
Rant over thank you.
I know it is a meaningless social formula but what are you supposed to say if you are not well?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That’s SNP back in here. Pretty close though. Conservatives just 2,000 behind.

classic33

Leg End Member
Forgive me for being peckish but what exactly does that mean? You are good at doing what ? You are good because you are a good person ?
When asked " How are you? " It seems to be the norm these days to reply " I am good" . Rubbish, this is meaningless by itself, you should reply " I am well, thank you" and this is what I say when asked. Doesn't anyone speak proper English anymore or just foreigners like me?
Rant over thank you.
I think he meant nobbutfairtomidlin.

Top Bottom