The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't blame your crap phone on me, pal. :boxing:
Why not!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Commuters are generally thought of as travelling by road or rail. Here a lot of commuting is done on water with different problems.
Earlier I was watching the Fuinary fish farm boat coming in and they went straight up the Sound and in the northeast entrance to the bay.
Yesterday they headed for the Diorlinn which is the southern entrance and dries at least partially at LW. From my window I could see disaster looming as the tide was rising but the passage still quite shallow. I have often gone through there with various boats and know it pretty well.
Must have been a new helmsman as he kept going albeit at reduced speed before coming to a halt just on the inside. Oh dear, either a clipped prop or weed clogging up the system big time. Took them ages to get going again tho'I could not see the exact reason for the stoppage.
Knuckles rapped I think so no chances taken today.
High winds can also make the passage "interesting". Not your average commute.
The Sound can get pretty rough and when son no2 was a commercial diver he once said the 48ft dive boat he was on was taking it green over the bow as they were on an SAR mission looking for a missing fishing boat in the Sound.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I see the tubes vs tubeless thread has now been shut down. Usual nobbers just can't help themselves and spoil what could have been an interesting and helpful thread. :sad:
Really? Someone in there gave me a really good tip about inflating tyres containing sealant. Tried it this morning with great success and was going to thank him.

As an aside a buddy running tubeless tyres and wheels but with a tube in punctured today. Took 45 minutes to get this fixed. Feckin' nightmare.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well. What a wonderful ride to Delamere Forest and a good cafe stop. We had wonderful country lanes, superb cycle paths through Runcorn, heavy traffic in places and I jumped on to the Leeds Liverpool towpath for the last 15 miles.

Knocked out 100.37 miles today and I'm very, very pleased with this. I could have done more which is doubly pleasing.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sorry sorry sorry...... this crap phone. I obviously meant errhh ahhh errrr Welshie.

Phew, that was close.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well. What a wonderful ride to Delamere Forest and a good cafe stop. We had wonderful country lanes, superb cycle paths through Runcorn, heavy traffic in places and I jumped on to the Leeds Liverpool towpath for the last 15 miles.

Knocked out 100.37 miles today and I'm very, very pleased with this. I could have done more which is doubly pleasing.
Excellent.
Well done sir.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Really? Someone in there gave me a really good tip about inflating tyres containing sealant. Tried it this morning with great success and was going to thank him.

As an aside a buddy running tubeless tyres and wheels but with a tube in punctured today. Took 45 minutes to get this fixed. Feckin' nightmare.
My Ribble came with Mavic Ksyriums with Mavics own tyre which I wanted to swap for Rubinos and I was beat to get the Mavics off. No way if they had been fitted as tubeless I could have removed them on the road. Some of the tubeless rim/tyre combinations are horrendously tight.

It’s getting to be a waste of time bothering with some of the other sections in here as it always seems to end up as a game of one upmanship and those that always have to have the last word. :sad:

Top Bottom