The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning walk around Hartland Point.

I can see my house from here - across the bay........

Currently lunching in the Old Smithy Inn, Welcombe. :hungry:

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning walk around Hartland Point.

View attachment 602055

View attachment 602056

View attachment 602057
I can see my house from here - across the bay........

Currently lunching in the Old Smithy Inn, Welcombe. :hungry:
New lighthouse?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good evening all.
I have just spent a while checking over my neighbours latest pile of junk bikes he has bought for his kids.
A couple of flat tyres, new tubes and a rear tyre needed. Gears adjusted on one of them and the front V brake on the other.
He has no idea about even the most basic maintenance, he didn't know that there is an inner tube inside the tyre on the last one he bought round, he asked what it was when I took the tyre off.:ohmy:
So a trip to the LBS in the morning for a few bits.
I think I may be being used as a cheaper alternative to the bike shop.:rolleyes:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Five wheels on my wagon

Got out for a 23 mile ride this morning

Chickened out on "The Big Hill" as I was feeling quite breathless at the start

still that adds 3-4 miles to the total and I pushed the bike along several unpopulated sections - i.e. keeping up above the ebike cutoff speed for a significant distance

pity Strava didn't record due to a malfunction on the screen/operator interface
(i.e. I forgot to press the record button)

still a good ride

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The pal, formerly known as (Covid-lockdown) 'bubble', invited me over for a meal at her place in Hebden Bridge this evening. It made a nice change to her coming over here to be fed and entertained.

After the meal, I set off on my bike to come home and was proceeding back through Hebden Bridge town centre at speed on the A646. There were cars parked along the opposite side of the road and there was a car coming the other way towards me, at the far end of the row of parked vehicles. At my end of the parked cars was one facing the wrong way for the traffic flow i.e. in the same direction as me. It's engine was running and I saw that the driver was creeping the car out to see if the road was clear for him...

It wasn't, because:
  1. There was a car driving towards him on that side of the road.
  2. I was rapidly approaching the space that he would need to pull out into.
So, obviously, he would wait for the other car and me to pass... :whistle:

Alternatively, he could floor the throttle and shoot out before the other car got there...

He chose lunacy! :eek:

As the front of his car was removing my road space I was swerving left towards the kerb and screaming STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!! I will give the driver some credit - having been completely unaware that I was there half a second previously, he did at least react quickly, slamming his brakes on and swerving back towards the parked vehicles...

I left him muttering "SMIDSY!" and suffering the embarrassment of everyone in earshot staring at him, now stationary in the middle of the road. :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
NN, I like your 5 wheeler. A lot. Shabash.
ColinJ, was the bubble part more important than the pal part? And you are lucky to alive, whole and not maimed. I find it hard to trust the intelligence and situational awareness of folks on the road, including myself.
Amazing pics Mr. Dirk.
Unfortunately that standard of driving is normal down there. Folk don't want to walk too far, so they'll park up on both sides of the road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ, was the bubble part more important than the pal part?
We've been pals for decades... We met when she was 17 and she is 60 now! The 'bubble' thing was just 6 months (?) or so.

And you are lucky to alive, whole and not maimed. I find it hard to trust the intelligence and situational awareness of folks on the road, including myself.
It did give me a bit of a scare... I had spotted that the driver was getting ready to pull out but I couldn't believe that he went ahead and did it! I probably hesitated a split-second too long before shouting. I should have called out a warning not to start pulling out rather than telling him to stop after he'd started.

I kept thinking about the incident on the rest of my ride home. I was on my singlespeed bike and there are a couple of small rises that I have to go over which normally take a reasonable effort on that bike but I was so distracted that I don't remember going over them this time!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good day all.
Colin......good to know it turned out (relatively) well for you.
Aldi dash for me at 0750.......I should have gone yesterday but didn't fancy the Sunday rush.
Exciting day today......the window cleaner is coming.......strange phenomena.....window cleaner and its not raining:wacko:.

Top Bottom