The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The locals are still trying to get into collisions with me and my bike! :whistle:

I just did a very short ride (4 kms to pick up a Metro from the station and shop at Aldi) and in that time had...
  • An elderly (mid-70s?) man push a very elderly (mid-90s?) man in a wheelchair out into the road in front of me without looking. I had anticipated it and had already slowed and was steering round behind them. Both men looked surprised when they realised that roads actually do sometimes have traffic on!
  • Two young men chatting and walking along the pavement to my left in the same direction as me abruptly walked into the road to cross it diagonally in front of me. I had anticipated it and had already slowed and was steering round behind them. Both men looked surprised when they realised that roads actually do sometimes have traffic on! :laugh:
  • I was walking my bike over a pedestrian crossing. The motor traffic had stopped both ways for me. I had nearly got to the far side but double-checked to my left to make sure that no mad cyclist was whizzing up the inside of the stationary vehicles. Oh look - there WAS a mad cyclist whizzing up the inside! I stopped. He shot straight over the crossing directly in front of me, apparently fascinated by his handlebars, for that was what he was staring at as he passed me. He didn't even notice that I was there... :wacko:
Don't trust them - they are all out to get you!!! :okay:
You beat the PPP/PPT?
As for sheep,
Sheep foil cattle guard
"Hungry sheep on the Yorkshire Moors taught themselves to roll 8 feet (3 metres) across hoof-proof metal cattle grids to raid villagers' valley gardens. According to a witness, "They lie down on their side or sometimes their back and just roll over and over the grids until they are clear. I've seen them doing it. It is quite clever, but they are a big nuisance to the villagers." "
[Source: BBC News, July 20
http://www.sheep101.info/stupidsheep.html

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just planning a ride to the Ribble Valley. I saw a little road at Bashall Town near Clitheroe which for some reason I hadn't noticed before on my many rides out there. The Street View car hadn't been down Back Ln but there is a photograph of Bashall Barn (or Bash Bar, as the sign seems to have renamed it! :laugh:), a wedding party venue.

My curiosity was satisfied, but then I noticed something. I zoomed in on the sign...

It is exactly halfway between Land's End and John O'Groats. I'm not sure where I thought the halfway point was, but I didn't realise it would be there!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You beat the PPP/PPT?
Yes. It was around noon and the pile of papers was still about 30 deep.

As for sheep,
Sheep foil cattle guard
"Hungry sheep on the Yorkshire Moors taught themselves to roll 8 feet (3 metres) across hoof-proof metal cattle grids to raid villagers' valley gardens. According to a witness, "They lie down on their side or sometimes their back and just roll over and over the grids until they are clear. I've seen them doing it. It is quite clever, but they are a big nuisance to the villagers." "
[Source: BBC News, July 20
http://www.sheep101.info/stupidsheep.html
I have posted about them before, and was actually reading that on the BBC website earlier today. They come down off the moor near Marsden/Meltham.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes. It was around noon and the pile of papers was still about 30 deep.

I have posted about them before, and was actually reading that on the BBC website earlier today. They come down off the moor near Marsden/Meltham.
You should move the stand on her.

They've been seen doing the same on the cattle grid just outside Ilkley, on the road from/to the Cow and Calf.
Not certain which learnt it first.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm going to be eating runner beans, broad beans, carrots, onions, lettuce and garlic for the next month!:laugh:
Veg garden going well?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Evening all . Hope everyone is well .

Just back from a day trip to Emsworth to pick up a sail for and with Mrs exlaser. Five hours total travelling time for a three hour visit, but when you live as far away from the sea as we do , you take any chance you can 😀

Ps My new toy is now safely at my sailing club . View attachment 602299

View attachment 602300

View attachment 602301
When I was a kid a trip to the seaside at Emsworth was a summer Sunday treat. Picnic basket, sandy sandwiches, flask of coffee, the works. If we were very lucky we got a 99 as well.

Shelob
But still, she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness

Has been evicted from the downstairs loo

actually 2 of them

Damn - when will Melkor just stop this!!!

Top Bottom