The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We got the bus back from Wimborne today. I'd forgotten my wallet which meant that Mrs Tenkaykev had to pay for the Coffee and Cake, the downside was that my wallet contains my Bus Pass 😠 I had to pay £3.50 bus fare. I'm not complaining, it just made me realise two things, how expensive bus fares are in this neck of the woods, and how much money I have saved over the years.
Another thing of note was that of the 8 - 10 passengers who got on and off the bus, Mrs Tenkaykev and I were the only people wearing masks.😷

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We got the bus back from Wimborne today. I'd forgotten my wallet which meant that Mrs Tenkaykev had to pay for the Coffee and Cake, the downside was that my wallet contains my Bus Pass 😠 I had to pay £3.50 bus fare. I'm not complaining, it just made me realise two things, how expensive bus fares are in this neck of the woods, and how much money I have saved over the years.
Another thing of note was that of the 8 - 10 passengers who got on and off the bus, Mrs Tenkaykev and I were the only people wearing masks.😷
I applied for mine as soon as I was 60 but still haven’t used it. Really should. You don’t get much for free these days!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
D

Deleted member 1258

Bus fares are expensive everywhere, I hardly used my pass for a long time, but now with my Good Lady in the wheelchair and unable to use the car its been proving most useful, though the bus taking twice as long as the car is annoying.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't have a bus pass . No seriously I don't:laugh:
You've no buses either, to be fair.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I applied for mine as soon as I was 60 but still haven’t used it. Really should. You don’t get much for free these days!
It used to be 60 here in England but it has been changed to state pension age, so I will get mine at the end of the coming winter. I just checked, and it is 60 for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London! PS And Merseyside...

I haven't been on a bus for years, preferring to catch trains out of the Calder Valley. It would be handy to have a bus pass for UK holidays though. This man took it to the max!

As for my killer bike ride today... It nearly DID. Kill me, that is! You know the climbs have been hard when you cycle round a bend feeling really anxious about what is to come, then breathe a sigh of relief when you see that the gradient is only 10%...:laugh:

I had underestimated the elevation gains so I put extra in to make sure I hit my target, only to then exceed it by well over 11%. The hilly loop I mentioned above turned out to have 1,156 m of ascent in 39.2 km (nearly 3,800 ft in 24.5 miles), lots of it being 10-20%. The rest of the ride was easier - 1,016 m of ascent in 61 km (just over 3,300 ft in just shy of 38 miles). I stopped at the top of a hill in Burnley on the way home to check my phone. I was so wasted that I couldn't manage it standing up! I sat on the pavement to do it, and afterwards I was struggling to get back to my feet.. I had to get on my hands and knees then drag myself up someone's garden wall. I think I might have slightly exceeded my fitness level today... :whistle:

It used to be 60 here in England but it has been changed to state pension age, so I will get mine at the end of the coming winter. I just checked, and it is 60 for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London! PS And Merseyside...
OK OK OK - don;t rub it in
I grew up in Merseyside and only live a few miles from the border
but I have to wait until 67

I blame $somethingpoliticalIdontagreewith

Top Bottom