The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

We're on our third or fourth radiator in the downstairs loo. It has to be a humidity issue. I fitted a top of the range radiator last time and it makes no difference. I have it down to a fine art now, I can drain and fit a new radiator in an hour.

I did our bathroom radiator a couple of years ago due to the same issue, this summer I rehung the back bedroom radiator, it wasn't hanging right, I took it off the wall expecting to find the two screw's holding the mounting bracket to have worked loose, what I found was the raw plugs on one bracket had totally disintegrated and only one bracket was actually screwed to the wall, I didn't have to undo the screws one end they fell out as soon as I removed the radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning folks,
The sun is starting to break through. Today is Veg Box, black bin and organised ' Walking for Heath " walk which Mrs Tenkaykev organises.
We'll be doing the usual walk along the Trailway and ( optionally through the woods, depending on conditions underfoot ) . That brings to mind my last walk up to Wimborne, I was keeping a mental tally of the number and type of bikes that passed me, I'd got to about eleven before the first electric bike appeared, then I saw a group of three older riders cycling towards me on electric bikes, two abreast with one following. As they passed I could hear Music, the chap at the rear had a speaker rigged up playing music, not blasting it out, but loud enough for the three of them to listen to. So it's not just the youngsters 🤔

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Enjoyed my walk this morning. I seem to have a bit more energy when it's cooler :laugh: Warm going up the hill but stopped to talk to a lady I know on the way back down for around twenty minutes and ended up quite chilled. My porridge has warmed me up.

I think I will do my best to ignore some of the other threads in here as one or two seem to be descending into the usual stupid arguments and oneupmanship. :sad:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Enjoyed my walk this morning. I seem to have a bit more energy when it's cooler :laugh: Warm going up the hill but stopped to talk to a lady I know on the way back down for around twenty minutes and ended up quite chilled. My porridge has warmed me up.

I think I will do my best to ignore some of the other threads in here as one or two seem to be descending into the usual stupid arguments and oneupmanship. :sad:

Oh yes, descending is the word ;)

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
I’ve been struggling walking up hills recently that I ran up only a couple of years ago :sad:
Would it be a vitamin thing ? I started using Centrum 50 + ( they dont make 70+ !) and a little spoon of Iron every second day or so and I think its given me a bit of extra energy . My good lady wife persuaded me to give it a go . I was reluctant at first.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Would it be a vitamin thing ? I started using Centrum 50 + ( they dont make 70+ !) and a little spoon of Iron every second day or so and I think its given me a bit of extra energy . My good lady wife persuaded me to give it a go . I was reluctant at first.
I do dabble with vitamins and supplements but not sure if they make much difference or not to be honest. I think it's more likely to be nerve damage with herniated lumbar discs and two bad bouts of sciatica in the last few years and the chance of getting anything done about it now is non-existent. Trying hard to drop a bit of weight which always makes me feel better.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning folks ^_^ looks better out there today so will go for a spin this morning. Im really liking my new bike its so much easier to make good progress. Its light as a feather compared to my previous ride, people with super light carbon bikes will laugh at 12.1 kilos but its good enough for me ^_^ Having a bad back ive adjusted bars to suit and have no problems in comfort.
Got my hair clippers delivered so will probably soon look like ive had some kind of accident ^_^
Unless you (or anyone else) has really short hair eg a 1 or 2 all over I have no idea how you can do your own.
My SiL has done his for years but a real buzz cut so he can't go wrong.
Before and after photos required or it never happened.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
<Sorry Rant>
On Monday I came in and noticed that the net curtain on the landing was missing, now when I arrived here some 17 years ago, there was a net curtain there,it was a bit grubby so took it down and washed it. A few year or so later I bought new nets for the flat and also bought one for the landing as I thought it would look nice and have done this many times in the 17 years, off hand I think I have bought four lots.
I sent an email to the housing manager tell him I want it back as it was my property, and if it's been dumped I want £12.
Gets an email this morning
I will return the net curtains today. Unfortunately they cannot be put back up going forwards. Aster Group operates a zero-tolerance approach to items being stored in these areas.
The Fire and Rescue Service advise that all internal communal areas within blocks must be completely clear. This means no items must be left within internal communal hallways or landings at any time. This is for the safety of all residents.
This is an ongoing thing, a few years ago they stopped us putting pictures on the walls, this was followed by no Christmas decorations, last year no mats outside your door to wipe your feet on, no Christmas wreaths to be hung on your door and now no net curtains on the landing.
The entrance now looks like a prison with bare walls and just their notices tell us what we are not allowed to do. I know I just rent the place, but this is “my home” and I treat it as “my home” yet the housing association all they want us to be under their control and treat us with contempt
<rant over> I feel better now. :smile:
When the housing manager returned the said curtain I gave him an ear bashing too. :laugh:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Morning we have :rain: and I have no self rasing flour left :sad:

rustybolts

pedalling tediously

Dave7

Legendary Member
<Sorry Rant>
On Monday I came in and noticed that the net curtain on the landing was missing, now when I arrived here some 17 years ago, there was a net curtain there,it was a bit grubby so took it down and washed it. A few year or so later I bought new nets for the flat and also bought one for the landing as I thought it would look nice and have done this many times in the 17 years, off hand I think I have bought four lots.
I sent an email to the housing manager tell him I want it back as it was my property, and if it's been dumped I want £12.
Gets an email this morning

This is an ongoing thing, a few years ago they stopped us putting pictures on the walls, this was followed by no Christmas decorations, last year no mats outside your door to wipe your feet on, no Christmas wreaths to be hung on your door and now no net curtains on the landing.
The entrance now looks like a prison with bare walls and just their notices tell us what we are not allowed to do. I know I just rent the place, but this is “my home” and I treat it as “my home” yet the housing association all they want us to be under their control and treat us with contempt
<rant over> I feel better now. :smile:
When the housing manager returned the said curtain I gave him an ear bashing too. :laugh:
Common sense has disappeared for people like that. Its all about covering their a*se and sod the people who live there.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back from the dentist with several things to report.
1. It was an awful experience. 45 minutes with tubes and cotton wool stuck halfway down my throat.....I kept gagging.
2. On the way I noticed the Asda petrol station had just one car filling up. I thought I will fill up on the way back.......on the way back it was heaving and the road was blocked solid :sad:.
3. Our window cleaner just told me he is packing in to take a job driving wagons. They will train him to HGV and pay him THIRTY SEVEN GRAND :eek:......talk about supply and demand.

Top Bottom