The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have one of those giant hoodies. It’s a 6XL, comes down below my knees, yet the sleeves are not wildly too long. They do ’manly’ colours, it’s not all fluffy koalas or baby pink. In fact mine is dark blue. Company called Kuddly, or similar. It’s very warm. Thought it might be a suggestion.
I put the heating on for 20 minutes, when I get in from work to vaguely warm the place up, then off. Big jumper and fluffy, thermal slippers will do me until it gets properly cold.
The temperature is up to 17.5 degrees now which feels a bit more comfortable. :okay:

I'm already wearing quite a lot of clothing... cotton socks plus a pair of crocheted thick woollen socks over them, and knee-length compression sleeves. Long johns under my warmish trousers. A long-sleeved base layer, thick tee-shirt and a padded lumberjack shirt over that. A pair of crocheted fingerless mitts.

Oh, and to keep my face and head warm...

(That was taken the other day while the lumberjack shirt was in the wash. I don't normally wear sunglasses indoors, but a photo without them was exceedingly unflattering! :laugh:)

D

Deleted member 1258

With age comes Wisdom . I’ve learnt the hard way , I don’t bounce any more .:cry:
One winter about 30 years ago I used an old mountain bike for road riding . After one long cold ride .I arrived home went to unlock the garage door and found my neck shoulders and arms had frozen into my riding position.
I used to stop at a roadside tea and burger van and got to know the owner .I called there on one bitterly cold day, he stared at me and said your some kind of pervert .
I used to commute in all weathers, down to -11 and colder, rain, sleet snow, ice and sun, nothing stopped me, I used to commute in steel toe capped boots, if the ride was very cold it would be an hour before my feet warmed up.

classic33

Leg End Member
The temperature is up to 17.5 degrees now which feels a bit more comfortable. :okay:

I'm already wearing quite a lot of clothing... cotton socks plus a pair of crocheted thick woollen socks over them, and knee-length compression sleeves. Long johns under my warmish trousers. A long-sleeved base layer, thick tee-shirt and a padded lumberjack shirt over that. A pair of crocheted fingerless mitts.

View attachment 618971

(That was taken the other day while the lumberjack shirt was in the wash. I don't normally wear sunglasses indoors, but a photo without them was exceedingly unflattering! :laugh:)
What'll you do when it gets cold. You'll not fit through the doors.

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 618971

Downstairs its usually 20-21 degrees, I put the heating on when I get up and turn it off when I go to bed, upstairs the back bedroom is heated, I'm drying washing in there, the rest of it is on low.

D

Deleted member 1258

No descents at speed in the colder weather then.

A couple

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What'll you do when it gets cold. You'll not fit through the doors.
I'll turn the heating up a bit rather than wearing even more! I have never turned it up higher than about 4/10 though because (a) It costs too much & (b) I get too hot.

Downstairs its usually 20-21 degrees, I put the heating on when I get up and turn it off when I go to bed, upstairs the back bedroom is heated, I'm drying washing in there, the rest of it is on low.
That is a bit too warm for me. I like it at 18.5 to 19.0 when I am wearing what I listed above. If I stripped off a lot of that extra clothing then 20-21 might be ok.

I'm feeling very comfortable now despite the thermometer only reading 1 degree higher than this afternoon. It might be because it is against the wall across the room and not reading the temperature over here. I'll try moving it nearer to me...

PS Nope, same reading. Either that 1 degree made all the difference, or eating a hot meal did.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. Quite mild out today and certainly much warmer than yesterday.

Today? Well it's Tuesday so I'll head off to collect the small person in 20 minutes or so.

I've realised remarkably little is happening in my life recently. Not sure how I feel about this. A friend recently told me she felt Covid-19 had accelerated her mental ageing. Her daughter told her not to be daft. I've thought about this and suspect there may be something in it. That's depressing. :sad:

I've decided to buy a new phone.......that's a depressing exercise. Takes me ages to reach a decision. :laugh:

:hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

I'll turn the heating up a bit rather than wearing even more! I have never turned it up higher than about 4/10 though because (a) It costs too much & (b) I get too hot.

That is a bit too warm for me. I like it at 18.5 to 19.0 when I am wearing what I listed above. If I stripped off a lot of that extra clothing then 20-21 might be ok.

I'm feeling very comfortable now despite the thermometer only reading 1 degree higher than this afternoon. It might be because it is against the wall across the room and not reading the temperature over here. I'll try moving it nearer to me...

PS Nope, same reading. Either that 1 degree made all the difference, or eating a hot meal did.

If I drop the heating down anymore I get complaints from the management.

Top Bottom