The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Evening Harry -x-

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had my last appointment with the Consultant at the hospital regarding the injury to my shoulder, seems the damage is permanent without much they can do. I've apparently snapped all the tendons that keep the shoulder complex in place. They all overstretched and snapped in the middle apparently, so no keyhole surgery job like I'd hoped. The X-ray of my shoulder while holding a weight is pretty interesting as one of usually horizontal bits tries to go near vertical being prevented only by the tension in my skin on top of my shoulder, so that's nice.

Apparently Houdini used to manage to escape from a straight jacket by intentionally dislocating his shoulder. This was deemed a skill. Being as mine is permanently dislocated, escaping from a straight jacket should be pretty straightforward; so always look on the bright side eh, and one never knows when one might need to do that.

I'm still in the habit of blacking out once or twice each day, sometimes I black out while it's light and come to in the dark without any sense of any passage of time, which is a most weird feeling. In fact it happened in the middle of typing this, that's another 20 minutes lost.
:eek::eek::eek:

Er, but... apart from that, everything is ok?! :whistle:

That all sounds pretty horrid. Let's hope that somehow, something can be done to help you!

Obviously you won't have the resources of someone like Chris Froome, but one sees people like him getting bolted back together after some pretty horrific crashes so these things are often possible if you get to see the right person.

Good luck!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha - today it is 15 minutes on, another 15 minutes on, and all the other 15 minute intervals on too! Still on low heat, and some radiators off. It has only managed to get up to 16.6 C so far so it looks like I may have to turn some of the other radiators on.
Ah, BOTH radiators in this room are already on. I have now increased the setting on the boiler from '1' to '2' on an imaginary scale of 1-10. (It is a very simple combi-boiler with a mechanical timer and an uncalibrated temperature dial.) That should manage to get the temperature at least into the 17-18 degree range.

I am wearing a lot of extra clothing but still feel cold, so I will just have to spend the money and do my bit to destroy the environment by burning more fossil fuel... :whistle:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
There's a house around the corner from us who light theirs up like Blackpool Illuminations, they've had theirs on for over a week already :hyper:
Just taken a quick pic out of the bedroom window, they do it every year :stop:

Attachments

• 24.11.21.JPG
    24.11.21.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 6

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll summarise for you...

Some of us have going to bed in the middle of the night and getting up in the middle of the day. Others have been going to bed in the middle of the evening and getting up in the middle of the night.

Some of us have been exercising like mad and others have acted as if it is mad to exercise.

Food has been shopped for, prepared and eaten. @Drago usually tells us what happens after that...

We have talked about TV shows, sports events, and lightweight politics.

And pets, central heating, and driving.

Apart from that, nothing much! :laugh:

Not too bad, ta. And you? :whistle:
You forgot about the Phantom Free Paper Pilferer!

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the catch up - sounds like folk have been having too much fun.

Yes I'm still breathing in and out; it's habit forming.

I had my last appointment with the Consultant at the hospital regarding the injury to my shoulder, seems the damage is permanent without much they can do. I've apparently snapped all the tendons that keep the shoulder complex in place. They all overstretched and snapped in the middle apparently, so no keyhole surgery job like I'd hoped. The X-ray of my shoulder while holding a weight is pretty interesting as one of usually horizontal bits tries to go near vertical being prevented only by the tension in my skin on top of my shoulder, so that's nice.

Apparently Houdini used to manage to escape from a straight jacket by intentionally dislocating his shoulder. This was deemed a skill. Being as mine is permanently dislocated, escaping from a straight jacket should be pretty straightforward; so always look on the bright side eh, and one never knows when one might need to do that.

I'm still in the habit of blacking out once or twice each day, sometimes I black out while it's light and come to in the dark without any sense of any passage of time, which is a most weird feeling. In fact it happened in the middle of typing this, that's another 20 minutes lost.
Martin Riggs could do the same.

Loosing time and not knowing what you did is annoying, and you never get used to it. It's worse when it happens and you're not at home.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The first few years starting cycling when I was mad keen I remember many rides coming back with feet and fingers that were so numb, that I was close to tears with the pain when they thawed out when I got indoors. Thankfully, I have more sense now. :laugh:
I've done rides in the past where I've got back with ice in my beard and a water bottle that's frozen solid, I'm not sure I'd want to do rides like that now.
With age comes Wisdom . I’ve learnt the hard way , I don’t bounce any more .:cry:
One winter about 30 years ago I used an old mountain bike for road riding . After one long cold ride .I arrived home went to unlock the garage door and found my neck shoulders and arms had frozen into my riding position.
I used to stop at a roadside tea and burger van and got to know the owner .I called there on one bitterly cold day, he stared at me and said your some kind of pervert .

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Ah, BOTH radiators in this room are already on. I have now increased the setting on the boiler from '1' to '2' on an imaginary scale of 1-10. (It is a very simple combi-boiler with a mechanical timer and an uncalibrated temperature dial.) That should manage to get the temperature at least into the 17-18 degree range.

I am wearing a lot of extra clothing but still feel cold, so I will just have to spend the money and do my bit to destroy the environment by burning more fossil fuel... :whistle:
I have one of those giant hoodies. It’s a 6XL, comes down below my knees, yet the sleeves are not wildly too long. They do ’manly’ colours, it’s not all fluffy koalas or baby pink. In fact mine is dark blue. Company called Kuddly, or similar. It’s very warm. Thought it might be a suggestion.
I put the heating on for 20 minutes, when I get in from work to vaguely warm the place up, then off. Big jumper and fluffy, thermal slippers will do me until it gets properly cold.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
With age comes Wisdom . I’ve learnt the hard way , I don’t bounce any more .:cry:
One winter about 30 years ago I used an old mountain bike for road riding . After one long cold ride .I arrived home went to unlock the garage door and found my neck shoulders and arms had frozen into my riding position.
I used to stop at a roadside tea and burger van and got to know the owner .I called there on one bitterly cold day, he stared at me and said your some kind of pervert .
Wisdom isn't necessarily learned as you get older, especially where you lot are concerned :laugh:

Top Bottom