The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Garmin thingy told me to “move” again so I went for a 3 mile walk, the first mile it was bloody cold, but after that I warmed up a bit :smile: still only 5c here
I rely on my Brain thingy, but it hasn't said a word yet today. Time is getting on so perhaps I should get up anyway!

I want to do my lumpy little Metro loop and actually get a paper this time. I also need to pick up my prescription (the health centre staff DID read the letter I dropped off last week when their online system was down) and do some shopping. I would rather do all that in daylight!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Im thinking of making a solar heater, something like this...

https://project.theownerbuildernetwork.co/2017/03/13/diy-solar-furnace/

Weve a south facing frontage and when the sun shines even weakly in the winter thats a lot of heat wattage gping waste right there.
That looks like a great project. Many years ago the place I worked at had a commercial/ industrial refrigeration repair department which was next to our electrical department. One of the guys there built something very similar using copper piping inside a frame with a sheet of ally at the back. He got the lads in the paint shop to spray it matt black iirc.

monkers

Veteran
Two new front tyres fitted on the Juke. Should be fine till the new car comes now. Back tyres should last till then.

I took our camper for the MOT today, 'all good' the man said and I came away with a ticket and only £27 lighter!

Next jobs are to return a cycling jacket to Chain Reaction (a bit small) and arrange to take my poor wrecked Trek Emonda frame to the menders for carbon repair work. :sad:

Attachments

• Emonda 01.JPG
    Emonda 01.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 7

12boy

Guru
Got the garden fairly well rototilled on Monday and we have had a few inches of nice wet snow overnight. The residual heat on the streets has melted it as it fell but dirt and grass still a couple inches. I may cruise a few alleys and load up a lot of leaf bags which will be rototilled in as well.
Around noon or so the streets will be dry and I will go for a ride, prolly on my Brompty. During the high winds I mounted some studded snows on my 'Dale but won't ride that until the streets are snowy and/or icy. I already have an extra front wheel for the Brompty with studded Schwalbe and a single speed rear wheel upon which I will put the other studded. Should be pretty good on ice but more than a few inches of snow will likely be too much. As Ben Franklin said " the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys."
Other than that I will be helping Mrs 12 with the absurd Thanksgiving feast which she is determed to prepare even though it will be me and her only.
Be well and safe.

Drago

Legendary Member
I saw something similar to that on YouTube. They had it fitted so that they could open a window in the living room and the heat went Into the room. Looked a bit fugly though.
I have an idea for a neater and more discreet inlet pipe for the warm air.

ColinJ

I want to do my lumpy little Metro loop and actually get a paper this time. I also need to pick up my prescription (the health centre staff DID read the letter I dropped off last week when their online system was down) and do some shopping. I would rather do all that in daylight!
Done!

I managed to get the Metro this time. It was the same time of day as yesterday's failure but there were about 25 papers left as opposed to 0, so unless there are an awful lot more rail travellers on Tuesdays than Wednesdays, I can only think that the difference is whether or not the PPP has struck.

I solved the crosswords pretty quickly so my braincells are still working, but I still only feel 75% awake. I feel 25% awake when I am asleep and 25% asleep when I am awake. My crazy sleep pattern needs to get sorted out! I am getting up so late that there is often only 3-4 hours of daylight left when I finally do... :wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Are they the same there as here, my Good lady had to go for an assessment before she got hers, I had to take her a a place on Widdrington road for them to assess her mobility, at the time she was still mobile with the help of a walking frame.
We haven't been asked to go for assessment. We have a Doctors letter** that clearly says she will be in a wheelchair permanently........we have sent them that letter.
**15 smackers for a one paragraph letter. What the f**k have I been paying for all my life ??

D

Deleted member 1258

We haven't been asked to go for assessment. We have a Doctors letter** that clearly says she will be in a wheelchair permanently........we have sent them that letter.
**15 smackers for a one paragraph letter. What the f**k have I been paying for all my life ??

These days its all about the cash, there's some wonderful doctors, nurses and carers out there, but the administrators are another story, getting a Blue Badge is a faff but will make life easier.

ColinJ

Ooh - I just got an email supposedly from the local council. It probably IS from them, but I am going to check by going via their website rather than clicking the link provided. They are talking about providing bank details, which always raises suspicions... :whistle:

If it IS genuine, then I will get an extra £30 towards my bills this winter. Couples will get £60. This is because the government has coughed up some more cash.

I will report back later...

Top Bottom