The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I actually lost forty percent of my pension by leaving two and a half years early but it was making me ill. No regrets getting out.

Yes, I retired 5 years early, and, lost 10% for each year, so, 50%. Don’t regret it however.

All I can say to those dreaming about work is, they are not dreams, they are nightmares! ;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have tried that. It always gets too crispy..do you wet it first?

Yes. We normally wrt it first but You never be careful. Wet stuff in an electric toaster can go bang. Get excess moisture off with a paper towel. Just put it in the toaster for a shorter time or not so well done.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
All I can say to those dreaming about work is, they are not dreams, they are nightmares! ;)
My work place dreams are quiet rare after nearly 5 years of retirement. They were more frequent in the first few years .They all featured a train that been withdrawn from service 6 years before I retired and always involved a nightmare failure I was unable to solve before I woke up.

Windy here but thankfully nothing more, we seem to be on the edge of it only.
I was only ever a nobody at work, no fancy job title for me.
I was recently filling in an application form for a volunteering role. It asked for job title, or, if retired, previous job title. I couldn’t face writing anything more than “office worker”. I just want to forget that the whole work thing ever happened.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I will get the turbo trainer set up this evening because I can't see me doing many long rides outdoors for the next 2 or 3 months.
Hmm... I did do, but I'd forgotten that it was quite noisy last time I used it. I think the problem is that the back wheel of the bike is not true and maybe not round enough either.

There is definitely a lateral wobble as the wheel rotates - out of true.

I think that the radius of the wheel varies through a rotation - not round. That might not be a huge issue on the road but the bike is in a fixed position on the turbo with the wheel pushed hard against the turbo roller. If the tightness is adjusted for the smallest radius then at other points in the rotation the tyre is pressing way too hard. If the adjustment is made at the biggest radius then the tyre can slip at the smallest radius because it isn't pushing hard enough against the roller. I have compromised and adjusted the roller pressure so the tyre does not slip but so the wheel can still turn round.

The outcome is though that there is a thumping noise once per revolution of the wheel. It is really irritating. I want there to be a nice whirring sound in the background while I am pedalling. I do NOT want a thump-thump-thump going on the whole time, and especially not the very rapid thumping when I am pedalling like crazy.

Wheel truing is not a job that I feel confident about tackling! I will have to watch some YouTube videos for advice, then give it a go...

I look forward to my pension though, and being able to afford to pay a bike mechanic to do that kind of job for me.

Top Bottom